Water Pumps

bjprk

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone for the welcome. In case anyone missed it, this is a truck with 200K and I'm the original owner ($13.600 in 1986, which at the time was a LOT of money....).

The first water pump didn't make it through warranty, but I replaced it with a new pump from NAPA.
The second pump made it to 37K and I replaced it with another new pump from NAPA.
The third pump only lasted 160K and it just threw in the towel today - NAPA probably won't give me a new one

My question: Are there any quality new pumps available? I am not fond of rebuilt anything, so I'd like to get a new one (not from China, thanks I've spent too much time there) if possible.

Thanks again.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
People say that motorcraft is the best. It is available at the dealership. I believe they run 140ish. Or maybe 90ish, I can't say for sure.

bjprk

Reaction score
Thanks a lot - it's off to the Ford dealer...Uhaul seems to be empty.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What about useing a Navistar dealer in Los Angeles. Surely they wont be selling a chianese knockoff. The Ford dealer will be selling the best pump money can buy but the cost is more than most will pay for. I personally wont buy from anyone that sells something with a lifetime warranty. Way to many of these fake autoparts stores these days are doing this. You pay for it once. Then you replace it over and over till you get a fairly good one that micht last a year ot two. I think Mel got 23 years on his original pump. So he paid the price for another 23 year pump...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I actually got an AC Delco pump from RockAuto a couple of years ago. I think it was $65. It is probably a repackaged motorcraft pump. They do that.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Knuckledragger.... I should get a commission from them... Rock sells Motorcraft parts for far less than stealerships. Of course if you need it today... that's a different story. To give an idea, the 6.0 original factory dual fuel filter set is around $90.00, Rock sells the same one for $30.00.... and yes, it has the water blocker material over the pleats.

I'd love to support my local dealership, but dang it! Best price they gave me was $120.00 for caps and o-rings. Caps and o's ended up costing me less than $40.00, that also included return hose elsewhere.

I'm all about making a profit, but the company I bought from is still making profit, just not at 10,000%

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
find a core and a good rebuilder, if they use an skf bearing in it and a good seal, it will last a long time. Bearing house has the bearing and grainger used to have the seals. used to buy them for the JD water pumps