Water pump going bad?

DickTrickson

Reaction score
I've got a 91 f250 with a 7.3 idi. I noticed coolant under my truck the other in a parking lot. It seems to be leaking from front of the engine when I checked it running. No leaks while its off and only seems to do it sometimes. I'm thinking water pump from everything I can gather. Any insight out there? How much of a pain is this thing to change?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The pump has a weep hole in the bottom where the shaft is. That is most often where a pump leaks first. Use a mirror or get under the truck with a flashlight. Old dark rust in the hole not as likely. New corrosion, wet with green coolant, white/green stains, that is likely your issue. Remember if you replace the water pump some bolts get RTV sealant as they go through and into the block area. So research or reach out to TNBrett as I recall he remembers which ones to coat. Prevents water/coolant transfer to your oil. Use SCA coolant or coolant with SCA additive. Used distilled water only. I would also do the thermostat, but only use a Motorcraft one.

Also look around the base of the upper radiator hose spout. It is also the thermostat housing, that gasket could be leaking.

Another and more common issue is perhaps your oil cooler seals are leaking. Look at the cooler for similar markings. When cool open you radiator cap and look for oil. Pull the dipstick and look for water at the top (Engine sweat.), oil mixed with water(Milky white.), or your oil level s up. Often when the seals fail oil and coolant mix.

Other potentials.
1) Coolant temp sensor.
2) Cold start advance temp sensor.
3) Radiator has a small leak.
4) Head gasket.
5) Block heater.
6) Freeze plug.

Last edited:

DickTrickson

Reaction score
Copy that. I checked and there's no oil in the water, no water in the oil. And it see to be coming from under one of the pulleys. Gonna crawl under it now and see if I can find the weep hole and see how it looks.

TygreII

Reaction score
Any suggestions what is the best brand pumps to buy?
Has anyone had experience with FlowKooler?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's all a matter of opinion. I always have used Napa water pumps, have yet to have one fail. They only make new ones, no more remans.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my water pump a couple weeks ago. No biggie. I actually drove it for about a month topping it off every day with just water so as to "flush" the system ( you can also read that as "I had other pressing things to do"). It's now all fixed up with fresh antifreeze and SCAs! MAKE SURE YOU USE SCAs!!! I lost a motor to cavitation, it's devistating!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I changed my water pump a couple weeks ago. No biggie. I actually drove it for about a month topping it off every day with just water so as to "flush" the system ( you can also read that as "I had other pressing things to do"). It's now all fixed up with fresh antifreeze and SCAs! MAKE SURE YOU USE SCAs!!! I lost a motor to cavitation, it's devistating!

Or use Zerex G-05. No SCAs needed. That's what I went with for my RV so I don't have to mess around with that crap. It's easy to find at any auto parts store and isn't very expensive. Just realized it's about due for a drain and replace already. It got back flushed with a garden hose in early 2019 and was filled 50/50 with G-05. It sat most of 2020 and only has about 10k on the coolant so it's probably good enough until next winter.

Anyway yeah, folks like typ4 run it: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/zerex-g-05.80028/#post-946513

Another user of G-05: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...oolant-on-a-94-7-3-idi-n-a.84658/post-1014125

Last edited:

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions what is the best brand pumps to buy?
Has anyone had experience with FlowKooler?
I did my water pump about a year ago or so and went with the flowkooler. I love it. You can see the quality right out the box. In December I drive cross country with my 86 250 with a 6.9 and came across the scales at 11,700lbs. Truck never over heated across the mountains or continental divide

TygreII

Reaction score
How long did it take for you to get it? Its been over 20 days and I have not even heard from them. I was beginning to think this is a scam.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Flow Kooler is a company that's been around for over 20 years so it's no scam. Have you tried to contact them? Have you tried calling them? They do list a phone number on their website.

TygreII

Reaction score
I wrote them an email through the website, but no reply. I'll have to try calling during work this week.