Water pump gasket

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am having to replace the water pump on my ‘88 e250.

What is the best thing to use to hold the gasket in place while installing the pump? A few dabs of rtv?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the RTV specifically made for water pumps and thermostats. No complaints.

Mike

Did u just put a couple spots to hold the gasket on, or did you put a bead all the way around?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this and reading up on past posts the go-to method was a light smear on both sides of the gasket. A LIGHT smear. No bead.

I did it and it worked good. Happy wrenching!

And dont forget the black RTV on the top two and bottom two bolts, they go into the timing cover and need to be sealed.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make yourself a couple studs by cutting the heads off some long bolts, make some slats so you can remove it with a flathead. Slide the gasket on, the slide the pump over them. Get everything torqued down, remove the studs and replace with bolts
You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent advice on the studs... made the job easy and saved my fingertips wrestling that heavy pump.

I used a light brushing of Permatex Hi-Tack Gasket Sealer on the pump side, and nothing on the cover side other than a careful cleaning with lacquer thinner first. Working fine and will be easier to remove someday when I need another pump...

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make yourself a couple studs by cutting the heads off some long bolts, make some slats so you can remove it with a flathead. Slide the gasket on, the slide the pump over them. Get everything torqued down, remove the studs and replace with bolts
You must be registered for see images attach

You'd have to use some really small studs to slide a waterpump on in a van engine bay. I think that would only work if the radiator was pulled. If the rad was in place, that would be a PITA to fish that waterpump on without scuffing the mating surfaces.

As for Jayro's original question, I always apply a thin layer of t-stat/waterpump-rated RTV (I think it was grey) on both sides of my gasket. It holds the gasket on the waterpump while installing the pump, and i don't trust my IDI to just a plain gasket anymore. When I did my recent rebuild, the only gasket I didn't use gasket+RTV, and it leaked almost right away. All the rest, no leaks after 13,000 miles.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. As far as the rtv on the bolts....on the threads or just around the shoulder?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said ^^^.

I used a similar concept as Wes but used two of the bolts for the water pump itself pushed through the WP housing and put the gasket on those two bolts. They are short but hold the gasket fine. Hand-tightened them a bit to square it up then added more bolts. I had the radiator out at the time but I imagine it would work well even with it still in. However i wouldn't do a WP with the radiator still in anyway unless...well I cant think of a single reason actually. :)

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd have to use some really small studs to slide a waterpump on in a van engine bay. I think that would only work if the radiator was pulled. If the rad was in place, that would be a PITA to fish that waterpump on without scuffing the mating surfaces.

As for Jayro's original question, I always apply a thin layer of t-stat/waterpump-rated RTV (I think it was grey) on both sides of my gasket. It holds the gasket on the waterpump while installing the pump, and i don't trust my IDI to just a plain gasket anymore. When I did my recent rebuild, the only gasket I didn't use gasket+RTV, and it leaked almost right away. All the rest, no leaks after 13,000 miles.

You could use some shorties with a slot to put a magnetic screwdriver into so you can back them out.. You van guys are always looking for a challenge.. :idiot:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Permatex "the right stuff" black one-minute-gasket. Stuff handles just about anything.
Last water pump install (on the '88 motor in my '93, 2 ish years ago), I smeared a thin layer on both sides and got the gasket well stuck to the pump before installing.
Took it apart a few days ago as part of my engine build/cam replacement, still well-adhered to *everything*.

These days I just buy a caulking-tube of the stuff. It was $25 at napa for that big container, but it lasted me for months at least.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However i wouldn't do a WP with the radiator still in anyway unless...well I cant think of a single reason actually. :)

I can think of a few: there's nothing wrong with my radiator, I didn't feel like disconnecting the hoses and unbolting it, and last but not least that thing is #$%& heavy to lift out of there! :rolleyes: I used a piece of floor underlayment (thin plywood) to protect the core, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance