Water in Fuel sensor BUSTED

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Water in Fuel sensor FIXED!

I posted in 911 diesel down, but posting again here for miaximum exposure, Thanks.

Was changing out the fuel filter today on the dodge. The freakin WIF sensor was a little loose, so you guessed it! SNAP!!

Cummins part store is closed today. I have to have the truck for work in the AM.

I found an old radiator petcock (plastic) that threaded in nicely, but it leaks under pressure (when running).

ANY IDEAS???? Hell, I don't ven know the thread pitch or size. Was thinking maybe a bolt or oil drain plug (correct threads of course), just till I can get the part on my way home from work tommorrow. Thanks, Kevin

Last edited:

CHarlan

Reaction score
Are you sure the Cummins dealer is closed?? I know ours is always open down here. The parts counter may be closed, but there is always techs on call, and they may be able to pull some strings for you.. If you were down here, I would lend you mine, as I dont have to work tomorrow.. Oh well, sorry bout that! Good luck!

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the offer. Yes I called a few places, either closed or no part. Heres what I ended up doing:

I took the housing to the reg. auto parts store and found that a 1/2"x20tpi oil drain plug (and fiber washer) fit perfectly. Cost: $2.50, and I even got the one with the magnet in it. I heard it supposed to make the truck run faster and jump higher or something like that.

Gonna order a new WIF sensor from Genos. When that arrives, I'll make sure that plug stays in the glove box. That way, I'll never need it again. Thanks again, Kevin

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Just a little update, Genos does not carry the WIF sensor for the 1997 (or at least it's not listed on their website). So called Cummins and was told it was cross referenced to a fleetgaurd part. "Will take about a week to get".

Well, got a call today from Cummins dealer and he said "part no longer available-might want to try a Dodge dealer".

So what's up, Fleetgaurd has the part for a 1996 but not for a 1997? Anybody got any ideas or sources?? Thanks, Kevin

MUDDY

Reaction score
should be same from 97 thru 99,,,,,,,,,,shldnt it

Last edited:

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Muddy, your right, 97-99 is the same part. I just can't believe the part is discontinued. Does anybody have some names or numbers of Cummins/Fleetgaurd parts suppliers that they have had good experiences with? Not sure if I am getting *********** by a parts guy who does not feel like doing his job, or is using the wrong part number.

I may have no choice but to call the dealer$$$$$$. Was thinking of mopar4less.com, any online cummins/fleetgaurd parts suppliers? Any other ideas? Thanks, Kevin

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Mopar4less wants $90+ for WIF sensor. Come on guys, give me some names and numbers of Cummins parts suppliers you have used in the past with good luck.

I wish I had the fuel filter setup like the 1996's, seems to be a simple foolproof design. The set up for the 97-99 is over engineered in my opinion. Thanks, Kevin

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Just wanted to give anyone who has a similiar problem an update.

I ended up making a new WIF sensor using a brass hydraulic fitting from the auto parts store. It is an adapter type fitting (for transmission lines I think) and the threads (1/2"x20) matched the old wif sensor exactly. I did use a 1/2'x20 tpi oil drain plug as a temporary plug while I tried to figure out a solution. The oil drain plug fit perfectly in the wif sensor location (threads matched).

Anyways, I bored out the center of the brass fitting to a larger inside diameter, (5/16ths), I used the stainless steel strips that are on a wiper blade as my probes. I inserted the strips into the ends of some wire, then the strips get some heat shrink to protect it from contacting the brass fitting. The whole then gets filled with JB weld (I warmed up the mixed jb weld so I could pour it in the 5/16ths hole with the probes properly positioned. The wire to probe connection point is also imbedded in the JB weld so no problem there) I let it cure and tested it. Works like the original (tested in water and diesel with a meter, then tested while plugged into truck-works great!). I used the original connector.

I basically copied the old WIF sensor (I took it apart and it is made very similiar, the original just uses a plastic fitting instead of brass). Total cost was $5.00 and about an hours worth of work. Sure beats the $90 from Dodge! and I don't have to worry about that flimsy plastic crap. I made a second one just for the heck of it.

I have it installed and it is holding up nicely after about 500 miles. The JB weld package states "non conductive, withstands 600 degrees, unaffected by fuel".

Hopefully this will help out someone else. At least it provides a cheap yet effective solution. I can probably put together some pics if anyone is interested. Kevin