Watch those air filters.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Filter would likely cause black smoke.
White could be injectors, low fuel pressure, or timing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the "go to" filter? My truck has started blowing white smoke like crazy. I'd like to start with the easy stuff first.
Wix,baldwin and fram all make a,good air filter. Yes I said fram!The stp ones seem to plug up real fast.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also read several times on here that foam can cause a filter minder to pop "plugged" on a brand new filter........ my foam pre-filter has earned a nice place on a shelf.......
Thanks. I added a filter minder to my turbo intake and it always sucks down after I do any hard run like climbing a pass. I just replaced my air filter and will now remove the foam pre filter and see if it helps.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
back in time I drove a white w/ 220 ***-mins for one 400 mile round trip.it just had no guts (I was used to a Mackw/5 speed maxidyne). By the 100 mile mark I could feel the power loss when I got to Albany to swap trailers with one carrying a beer load. Beer loads are hard pulling and heavy.Started homeOMG will I ever get bask with this peice of s*#t. I had called the home terminal tey said run it (shortage of mechanics to send a service truck) After 8hr. of stesdy driving to cover 150 miles I gave up&punched holes in the air filter to get home.I could only use granny and first gearby then. After slicing the air filter it ran good. My point is a dirty air filter will sneak up slow you down, waste fuel,and have no power. If you arent sure change it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back in time I drove a white w/ 220 ***-mins for one 400 mile round trip.it just had no guts (I was used to a Mackw/5 speed maxidyne). By the 100 mile mark I could feel the power loss when I got to Albany to swap trailers with one carrying a beer load. Beer loads are hard pulling and heavy.Started homeOMG will I ever get bask with this peice of s*#t. I had called the home terminal tey said run it (shortage of mechanics to send a service truck) After 8hr. of stesdy driving to cover 150 miles I gave up&punched holes in the air filter to get home.I could only use granny and first gearby then. After slicing the air filter it ran good. My point is a dirty air filter will sneak up slow you down, waste fuel,and have no power. If you arent sure change it.
I drove a butterfly hood pete with a 280 and a 5x3 trans. It ran pretty good. Pump and timing were turned up as much as possible. It was a 95 mph truck too.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a vacuum gauge in front of the compressor intake. If that gauge ever moves, service filter.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It also depends where you have it installed.
For example (on my psd) I have the 6637 filter. I moved the minder to the intake tube right after the filter. Evidently that puts it in a area that will cause it to suck down more. Others have put it into the end of the filter. Which I guess let's it read more correct.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk