wastegate

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys, i have another questions. the 6.9 that is going in my truck is not wastegated. is it possible to EASILY gate this? or do i need a different turbo. new rear and front seals as well as valve cover gaskets were installed while the "new" motor was out. the mechanic said my existing clutch looked good. as it is "supposed" to only be a year old. we are putting a new glow plug wiring harness on as the old one had been hacked on and spliced together. would a bad glow plug (one that wasnt hooked up and was damaged) cause low compression in that cylinder? smoking? i have no clue, any help would be great!:puke: :puke: -cuss :eek: :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad glow plug won't cause low compression on the cylinder unless it breaks and messes up the valves or cracks the piston. It will cause hard starting and excessive smoke, particularly with the 7.3 style system since the controller will read that inoperative or disconnected glow plug as red hot and will significantly cut your cycle time. As to the wastegated or non gated turbo. I would suggest just leaving it non wastegated. A lot fo us, including myself have non gated turbos and they are great for hauling and towing and climbing big hills, not so much for accelerating between traffic lights and making boost right off idle. One guy here said something about an external wastegate, but I don't know anything about it and if its cheap or easy. Good luck. Make sure to go with the 7.3 style glow plug system it is far superior and won't leave you digging tips out of your motor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would need a totally different exhaust housing for the turbo to put a wastegate on. A waste of time I'd say.