Wastegate question

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my ATS turbo, the vacume can on the wastegate I know limits it @ 8psi and that is ok, but sitting here thinking (cookoo ) is the opening of the gate progessive? I mean is it opening a little @ 6 or 7 psi, it can't open all @ once, it is a vacume can????

If it is progressive this means you could obtain boost more quickly if the vacume can didn't open at all until it reaches 8psi, you could do a PSI switch and solinod valve to not allow vacume to the can until @ the max boost you needed. Set the psi switch @ 8 then let it open the wastegate. If I remove the vacume line from my can I can get up to 12 psi, too much boost for me.

Maybe me thinkest too much :dunno

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wastegate is progressive, and will bypass only enough exhaust to keep the boost below the limit. It does not simply open and close all the way.

Bascially you have a spring on one side of the diaphram, and boost pressure on the other side. Once the boost pressure is more than the spring pressure, it starts compressing the spring and opening the wastegate.

The wastegate does not affect boost spool-up speed below the bypass pressure.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked it last night and found the same thing by adding pressure to the gate can @ 5 PSI this thing is starting to open, this makes it harder to obtain more boost from 5-8 psi.

Here is what I am going to try, I have a normaly open pressure switch from NAPA, set it to close @ 8PSI, then it will apply 12VDC to the closed valve, run the wastegate pressure through a normaly closed 12V solinoid valve from McMaster Carr (was gonna use this stuff to make a water injection system, chickened out). This way the wastegate won't see any positive pressure until I have a full 8 pounds of boost, I can see this thing clicking on and off a lot @ max boost but thats OK as long as it maintains a full 8. Around town I never run max boost for more than a few seconds anyway.

Me thinkin :dunno that I can achieve low end boost faster by not having the wastegate gradually open as boost increases, easy to hook up and try and take back off and I have all this crap laying around anyway.

Having an electricaly controlled wastegate may not work or may not work well or someone else would have already done it, but I gonna give it a shot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I hope it works for you. This is how we as a collective find out better ways of doing "things". My Banks Sidewinder with a wastegate never seemed to have a slow boost problem. I even shortened the rod so I had more boost which probably help the gate closed at a higher pressure till it overcame it and opened. Please post back what you find. Plenty of lookers here want to know.