Viscosity Tests

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in one of my posts not too long ago, I had a recent batch of oil that was too thick and I had a bit of smoking. To keep that from happening again, I will now do a viscosity check on all my oil to make sure that some hidden gear oil or otherwise thick oil doesn't get the better of me and cause more smoking again.

To set a baseline flow time, I took a 3 qt bleach bottle, drilled a 1/4" hole through the cap, and then cut the bottom off. Using a measuring bucket from Home Depot, I metered out 64 ozs of whatever I was testing and timed how long it took me to pour the liquid through the 1/4" hole. Since there were a few variables, I ran all the tests at least 3 times and used the average. There wasn't much fluctuation though, I was never off more than 2 seconds in any of the tests.

Here's my results:
Gas- 1:21 mins
Kerosene - 1:35 mins
Diesel - 1:37.5 mins
100% Waste Oil - 9:24 mins
80% Waste Oil/20% Gas - 2:14 mins
75% Waste Oil/25% Gas - 1:53.5 mins
70% Waste Oil/25% Gas/5% Kerosene - 1:51 mins
70% Waste Oil/20% Gas/10% Kerosene - 2:07 mins (I need to run this one again because the number I wrote down is smudged)

Based on those numbers, I''ll now aim for sub 1:55 mins viscosity on future mixes going through my truck. Ideally I'd like to get as near to the diesel time as possible but have reservations about running more than 25% gas in my mix. The addition of kerosene didn't do much to reduce the time so I won't be using that in my mix unless EGT's or engine noise dictates that my mix isn't combusting well.

As for conclusions, it's clear that a little gas goes a long way, as shown by the 100% oil vs 80% oil vs 75% oil times. I finished at 2am and needed to hit the sack but am interested in seeing the flow time for a 70% Waste Oil/30% Gas mix. If it drops as much as the 80 to 75, it might mean that a 70/30 mix would flow faster than diesel. Who knows how the mix would combust but at least the viscosity issue would be solved.

Another conclusion is that when mixing gas and oil, it needs to be stirred or agitated if you add the oil first and the gas second. Adding the oil first means the gas sits on top, although it does slowly start to trickle through. If you add the gas first, it's interesting how the poured oil goes through the gas to the bottom of the measuring bucket and then lifts the gas up. Adding the gas first is definitely the recommended way to go since the oil passes through it but it's still good to stir it and ensure they mix together.

Once I run the sub 1:55 mix through my truck next week on a 1,500 mile Thanksgiving trip, I'll report my findings. In the past I've run 83% waste oil/17% gas with minimal smoking and hope this next mix will be the final tinkering solution!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of temps did this stuff have, rough guess??
Good info, keep it coming.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran this test in my basement and I usually keep the house thermostat set at right around 68 degrees. So to be safe, I would say the temperature was between 65 and 70 degrees.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should try it outside, unless it's a lot of work to move some of that equipment.
Would be interesting to test the difference when cold weather sets in.
What are your outside temps now???

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hovering in the 40's here with nightime temps in the high 20's, not too bad just yet. As for replicating outside, it's an easy test...all you need is a measured 2.5 quarts, a container with a 1/4" hole, and a bucket to catch it in. I'll be filling up my truck tomorrow and will test my mix outside then but in the meantime, anybody can do the same test in any variety of temps with any variety of mixes.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I run the sub 1:55 mix through my truck next week on a 1,500 mile Thanksgiving trip, I'll report my findings. In the past I've run 83% waste oil/17% gas with minimal smoking and hope this next mix will be the final tinkering solution!

Well I tested the mix that was in my tanks and found that I needed to add about 12% more RUG to get it to flow at the proper rate. Over my ThanksG trip I covered just under 1500 miles and with the mix at the correct viscosity the truck ran like a champ (as far as fuel is concerned). Smoking was almost non-existent, power was great, and I pulled a 4,000 lb-ish trailer for 90% of the trip. The only issue I had was higher than normal EGT's which I later attributed to a leaking boost line. Before fixing the line however, I added 4 gallons of diesel to 40 gallons of the mix in my tank and found that it lowered EGT's about 100-150 degrees.

The other take-away from my trip is that whenever possible, I should mix the RUG into my 100 gallon bed tank and not my 40 gallon truck tank (I was filling my truck tank from my oil tank and then pumping RUG into the truck tank). When I mix it into the truck tank, it takes a solid 1.5-2 hours before it's thoroughly mixed (which I can tell by checking the FP gauge). I have an 800 mile R/T coming up on Thursday and I plan to mix my 100 gallon tank tomorrow so that it has a couple days to bond, that should be more than enough time and ensure a consistent tank.

Temp wise, this trip was done in 20-30 degree temps and aside from a compressor surge at 65-70mph in OD, and a random hiccup that's been occuring, it was an easy and trouble free 1500 miles.

Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just so I have it correct, your final mix was about a wmo 70%, RUG 30%, before you added the 4 gallons of diesel.
Your 100 gallon tank in the bed, that's connected/plumbed into the stock 40 gallon tank???

I think its really interesting that your running that in a 7.3 PSD.
Do you think that a newer, 7.3 (04, 05 whenever they stopped making it) would run that mix just as good???
BTW thanks for the info, again.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad,
I don't know the exact percentage numbers but based on the drain times, I'd say I was between 70-75% on the WMO and 25-30% on the RUG. I only added diesel for two of the tanks but once I fixed the leaking boost line, my EGT's were back to normal and I didn't feel the need to add anymore.

As for the 100 gallon tank, I carry a small 4x6 trailer with me on long trips and stick the tank on that. For this trip, I had the tank on my bigger 20' trailer since I needed to carry some cargo. Along with the tank, I carry a HF water pump to transfer it from the 100 gallon aux tank into my Excursion's 40 gallon tank. It pumps about a gal per minute which isn't too bad since normally a full tank will take me 600-700 miles which is just enough to reach either my parents or my in-laws before I have to refuel. Even when I don't make it, a 40 minute rest stop isn't that big of a deal.

As for the engine, the 99-03 7.3's are the newest 7.3 Powerstrokes and I think my mix will work well in anything '03 and older. I've worked on a few 6.0's and it might work on those too but I don't have any first hand knowledge and would hate to steer you wrong.

I'm leaving on an 800 mile trip in a few hours and will report back then, the only thing that changed is that I haven't mixed my RUG into my 100 gallon tank yet because it's about $.30 cheaper in Ohio (and I didn't feel like driving my big trailer to the gas station). Even with mixing it in Ohio, I should still have 4-5 hours for it to thoroughly mix together. I would've rather had a couple days but will save about $3.00 doing it this way, enough for a couple Thermos' full of my cappucino/hot chocolate mix:)

Temps are hovering in the low 20's right now, I don't think I'll have any gelling concerns but I'll let y'all know.

Last edited:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished the trip and the mix ran great. A new CPS fixed my hiccup issue so it was nice not to have the truck bucking every 10 minutes or so. As for the mix, I was a tad heavy on the RUG so I had a tiny bit more smoking under load but zero smoke at idle. Even with the smoke under load, it was more of a bluish-clear tint and almost looked like the condensation that comes out of a vehicle on a cold morning and it quickly dissipated.

For the first half of the trip, I was towing a trailer that weighs 1000-1500 lbs empty and there wasn't even any highway smoke. THe highway smoke started on the 2nd half of the trip once I added a few thousand pounds to the trailer but again, it wasn't anything obnoxious. Temps during the day were high 30's and at night mid-high 20's.

All that's left now is to put on a new turbo wheel to fix my compressor surge and run my newly purchased copy of AE (thanks RiffRaff!) to see if I have an injector issue (injectors have almost 260K on them).

It'd be nice if I had a set ratio but since my WMO comes from a variety of sources, the weight/viscosity varies from pickup to pickup. As a starting point, I'll go with 75/25, time the mix after I filter it and it's sitting in my holding tank, and go from there. At times when I'm towing heavy, I'll add a splash of diesel to help wiht EGT's and smoke.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm headed out on a 1600 mile trip today and I've got full tanks of fuel that flows in 1:58, or about a W75-W80 mix. AE showed me a dead injector that I replaced so now I'm running on all 8, I'm looking forward to seeing how my mixes run when all the cylinders are firing. I'll post up a smoke report when I get back, I'm hopefull that aside from the compressor surge it'll be a smokeless, eventless trip:) Merry Christmas everyone!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Les,
Thanks for the info on the trip, glad it went ok.
Always nice to hear about successful wmo trips, just for the doubters out there.