vibration & shake at idle

gumbyone

Reaction score
Well I had the truck in for a coolant leak and it turned out to be the EGR hose, they changed it and updated to the newest program. well now when the truck it idling or i am sitting at a set of lights the truck shakes. anywhere from a slight to a bit heaver where the coins rattle. Then last night I was moving the trailer around the yard and after the truck idles for a bit there is a noise in the exaust you can hear the rattle vibrate through the ehaust. I but some stress on the mufler and it stopped the surging rattle noice but the truck still was slightly shaking.

could it have been someing not installed right after having the turbo off or is this from the new software load?

Thanks

dave
04 SC F350

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Dave, welcome to OB!!

I'm not sure on an answer to your shake problem but I would get it back to the shop that did the work and have them look things over again.

My first inclination is that it's the new flash.

gumbyone

Reaction score
Yea I have had it back 3 times now and so far they have replaced the turbo and the turbo pedistal. Now to me a vibration at idle or very low rpm's wouldnt be a turbo. I was more apt to think the program has messed up something else.

The last time I took it over they tried to say its not covered under warrenty cause its not really a driveability issue.

DAve

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Dave, is your truck an auto or manual tranny??

Find another dealer and have them scan it and see if they can see anything.

One other thing to try, and this is a SWAG, disconnect the batteries and turn on the headlamps to drain the Keep Alive Memory say for 30 min to 1 hour and then reconnect, let the truck re-learn.

See if that helps

John

gumbyone

Reaction score
The truck is an automatic, I will try the relearn tonight and see. The worst part is that the dealership is the only one around unless I want to drive 2 hrs.

Thanks dave

gumbyone

Reaction score
So the offical responce from dealership is that it is the exaust mounts... took it to local mufler shop and the guy showed me that he could not stop the shake by holding the tailpipe still. It was quite amusing as it was bouncing his hands all over as he tried to hold it.

Dave

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the offical responce from dealership is that it is the exaust mounts... took it to local mufler shop and the guy showed me that he could not stop the shake by holding the tailpipe still. It was quite amusing as it was bouncing his hands all over as he tried to hold it.

Dave

You need to take the time to get it to the dealer 2 hrs from you because it's pretty obvious the Mochanics at the dealer you are going to don't know their *** from a hole in the ground and I wouldn't let them even look at the truck much less work on it.

Might want to take a look at ALL of the electrical connections on the engine, may be something simple like leaving a sensor unplugged.

mr_josh

Reaction score
Aha! That's great that they're telling you exhaust hangers are causing the entire truck to shake at idle. Go back and ask them if the muffler bearings need to be replaced too! :D

But seriously, tonkadoctor hit it on the head with his reply, get thee to a better service center.

gumbyone

Reaction score
Aha! That's great that they're telling you exhaust hangers are causing the entire truck to shake at idle. Go back and ask them if the muffler bearings need to be replaced too! :D

But seriously, tonkadoctor hit it on the head with his reply, get thee to a better service center.

I couldnt believe it either, but going back with I told ya so will feel ohhh so good...

Dave

gumbyone

Reaction score
is there any other drivability symptoms present? any sort of lack of power or engine miss threw the revs?

Kinda.. if you watch the RPMs they dont move, however as you feel the viberation it feels like it is surging in and out.

DAve

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok dave, next time you see your truck, pop the hood and look on the left hand (passenger) side valve cover. on that valve cover there will be a year of your motor, let me know what year that is, i have a potential idea what it MIGHT be, this is of coarse with out feeling it over the iternet ball park idea, so it will be far from set in stone right, but might help the retards who poorly represent your closest ford dealer:puke:

lazy techs not wanting to try:mad: , its not that hard, they give good techs bad reps:backoff

gumbyone

Reaction score
ok dave, next time you see your truck, pop the hood and look on the left hand (passenger) side valve cover. on that valve cover there will be a year of your motor, let me know what year that is, i have a potential idea what it MIGHT be, this is of coarse with out feeling it over the iternet ball park idea, so it will be far from set in stone right, but might help the retards who poorly represent your closest ford dealer:puke:

lazy techs not wanting to try:mad: , its not that hard, they give good techs bad reps:backoff

The date stamp on the motor is 2003.

thanks dave

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i might be hiting a home run on this one, but then again i might be in the wrong stadium but...

i think you may be having a problem in your high pressure oil rails. the reason i asked you to check to see the year of the motor is, that the 03 rails had an issue with a type of standpipe fiting. these standpipe fitings caused for some reason an erraticness of the pressure from the high pressure oil system witch translates into a shake at idle. they have an updated one they can install, and this is one potential answer to your problem, it could be a host of other things, but me as a tech, if i saw that concern on a ticket with an 03 motor powered truck, i would rule that out before trying anything else

this stuff might be complicated but the problem is techs dont take the effort to attempt to actually figure the problems out on these 6.0s, and i dont have a clue why, warrenty pays for diagnosis procedures, and i make out rather well doing warrenty engine drivablity, while i here others whine about it alot

-cuss

but anywho, go to the dealer, tell them you want updated standpipe fitings for your truck because its an 03, via phone or in person, see how they react, and make sure you do this as friendly as possible, so if they do get rude and or nasty with you, they dont have a founded reason as to why they did

let us on the forums here, know what they say to that