Van owners

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://altoona.craigslist.org/ctd/5843528740.html

I'm going to look at this on Monday, is there anything special I should look at as I'm not much of a van expert. Obviously I know nothing about auto transmissions either. Sca's, oil, starting condition, all of the usual idi things will be on the check list but this is a new animal for me to look at but for 1500$ if it really only has 138k and is in that shape I think I'm in..

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it looks pretty decent body from the pics. I love my old vans and even mor eif they are diesels. have a good look at the oil pan for rot, or recent patch work. these a re a huge job to change them. C6 is pretty stout, 6.9 not a powerhouse but adequate. I haven't seen a diesel travel van for a while, kind of a rare beast I'm thinking. have a real good look around the top drip rail , the vans are bad for rust there even when there is rust nowhere else. should have a fullfloat dana60 rear

definitely need to take it for a drive to check driveline and if suspension is still sound. this thing has kingpins in the twin I beam.

If I was in the area I would definitely have a look at it, and I don't need any more vans;Sweet

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would find out if the IP and injectors have been replaced, they are a huge bear on the vans and if they are original, they are probably pretty tired at 138k.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the rear axle will be a Dana 61, but it will likely be a FF. Check the steering linkage for slop, see if the box is fairly tight, that will tell you if the 138k was distance driving rather than city driving. If it's city, then the brakes, and the bushings in the twin I-beam front axle could need service. Unfortunately, the '84 6.9L idi is the not THEE most desirable because of the block casting (I think, someone on here can confirm,) so run it up hot and have a look at the motor. C6 will be a screamer on the highway, but that's all they came with at the time, an OD upgrade is a great addition later. Oh, also check for rust through directly down from each window pillar, especially at wheel well lips and rocker corners. I can't tell if that Econoline has 1 or 2 tanks, but it looks like there is a dash switch, so check for function. The right rear door looks to be a little sprung, maybe from ladder use, the upper hinge is suspect in the photo. Lastly, the front cowl (just in front of the windshield) drains off to the Driver's Side only,) water sometimes backs up, and overflows into the kick panel area inside the cab. Look for rust under the carpet in the left front corner and immediately to the left of the Driver's seat. Any little thing you find could be a bargaining chip. Good luck!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a couple of more questions what is that thing with a key down by the e brake cable? And it had a vcr and a tv? Haha

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a locking hood latch..... I've seen more of those here on OB that I would have expected........

It does have the switch for dual tanks, the markings for the switch are the black thing to the right of that hood latch, and the switch points straight down below the dash. It also has intermittent wipers. Another thing you may see if you buy it, it does still have the IVR (Instrument Voltage Regulator) and it if sticks all the gauges will read high..... like toward pegged high, just like the 80-86 trucks would do. These also have a "real" oil pressure gauge, as in it will move with oil pressure, it wasn't until the 92+ body they changed to the 7 psi moves to the middle of the gauge setup...

Also, looking at those dog dish hubcaps, this does NOT appear to be a full floater rear. The dog dish caps used on the rear were much deeper, not flush with the outside of the tire like these appear to be.... the FF hubs stick out farther than those hub caps do........

We've had a E-150 gasser in both body styles, an 85 and a 94. I personally put over 100,000 on the 85 while in College and it had 200,000 when it was traded in on the 94 that had almost 280,000 when it was traded on Dad's 12 F-150. Both had the 302, the 85 being the last year with a carb.

That also reminds me, not sure on the 75-91 frame, but on the 92+ check the frame rail area around where the steering box mounts...... that was the last straw on Dad's 94, the frame had started to crack and the box would move a bit...... he checked on getting it fixed, but was quoted nearly 4 grand for the repair, as the frame needs to be stripped of all the suspension, the broken section removed, and replaced with a good section from a doner, then everything reassembled...... This was not the van's only issue...... so it and his 97 7-lug F-250 turned into a 2012 Supercrew 4x4 F-150.....

If I had the money, I'd be headed to look at his van if you didn't get it..... I do like the E-Series Vans...... spent nearly 15 years, and almost 400,000 miles in them...... However, the E-Series vans were always Ford's "red-headed step child", and many of the improvements that were seen on the other Fords of the era were not introduced to the vans until a few years later........ I.E., they still kept the 8x6.5 lug spacing well into the 2000's when all the other Fords went metric in the late 90's.... Many of the changes that took place in the 87-91 Bricknose trucks, did not get moved over to the vans until the redesign in 92...... Ford didn't do a lot of changing on the vans, really the Econoline series vans really only had 4 body styles for the entire run from 61-15, the original "bus" design with the driver in front of the front wheels (61-67), the short nose with the wheel at the front of the van (68-74), the body that eventually received an IDI (75-91), and the one that ran through the release of the "Transit" (92-15). There were cosmetic changes over the years, grilles/headlights, location of badging...... but the basic van stayed the same through the entire run of a generation.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of this is making me that much more excited to look at it. I noticed two more things, I think the windshield is cracked not that that's a giant deal, and the sticker says 7-14, which I'm sure I can get it pa inspection ready no problem but I'm wondering is if it was registered during the last two years and what I'm gonna have to do there to not have a mess..

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when Sully was doing conversions. They made some nice ones!!

Rick

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That van looks awesome!
I'd say grab it, that is a rare and cool bird. I saw one similar to that go for 4x that in California (they're sought after in CA because they're emission exempt) Don't be scared off by the IP I just pulled a ambulance IP in 2 hours working at a moderate pace..and my '86 still has the original IP @ 168k and runs great! Most of the people that say "vans are impossible to work on" probably haven't even worked on one to be honest.. Sure they aren't as easy to work on as a truck but as anything goes once you've got it figured out it's not bad.. (besides engine removal, I dread the thought of having to pull the engine on my van..) I can pull the alternator/vacuum pump in less than 10 minutes, pull the rad in about 30, power steering pump in the same,etc.. there's actually a few jobs that are easier on a van which no one ever talks about. Personally I'd rather be sitting on the inside of my van accessing my back 6 injectors than bending over the front fenders of a truck hurting my back!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not as much scared off by having to work on anything as I am trying to remember to check everything I want to before I'd make a decision. I honestly don't have a "use" for it, but I can always find some and I like old reliable vehicles and these engines (along with straight six 300's).

I'm more concerned about remembering to check things like the oil cooler, oil pan, check for bubbles in coolant, check for leaks, stuff like that. And figure out how I'd register it and stuff, I can't remember or find the rules on google with pa registration. If it hasn't been registered since 2014, I can't remember if it matters since I have to get a new plate and pay a registration at a notary anyways.. but hopefully there's no tack on fees for it not having been done by the previous owner or whatever..

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
You're miles ahead of me (when I bought) on awareness, Brian. Good info and advice coming from this thread.

Wow, a very early one! Weren't there concerns about the earliest engines?

Good luck to you, and keep us posted!! :popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Many years ago, I decided I’d buy a new conversion van. I wanted to utilized the tremendous utility of a full size van. After looking at everything available I was so disgusted with them I decided to convert one myself.

The interiors LOOKED nice but they were not very functional. Captains chairs that were mounted so close they would hit the walls when trying to swivel them, really cheap interior panels, curtains that rarely worked, a raised roof that sacrificed the extra headroom for decorative touches, a fold out bed too small for even small adults, etc. They were really only comfortably designed for driving a few hours with four people max. You couldn’t camp with one, and hauling cargo would ruin the cheap interior.

In PA, I’d look real hard at the rust and rot and check for bondo and repainting. I doubt you’ll find any cheap replacement parts in the northeast. I’ll bet there is a lot of rust underneath.

If PA has a vehicle inspection requirement that has repair shops checking for rust, you may not be able to register it. In NH, once a shop declares that your vehicle has a “soft frame” it cannot be registered, and only a couple grand spent at a certified collision shop MIGHT get that changed. It is a huge scam because mechanics can just eyeball a vehicle and have it officially declared junk. I have friends that have junked vehicles with less than 100K miles due to this. You have a 32 year old vehicle, which might be in good running condition, but your opinion may not matter.

I’ve swapped out several IPs and other components on E350 IDI vans. They were not difficult. For working on the top of the engine, spend five minutes and remove the front passenger seat. This gives you great access for work.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone bought it Saturday, they didn't pull the ad down and the guy who emailed me doesn't work Saturday's when they sold it and didn't email me back this morning not to come because it was sold. Furious.

Never gonna find another idi in pa that isn't rotted out or 7000$. Just disgusted. Now I get to sit in town for an hour and a half and do nothing as there's no point to drive home just to drive back for work. What a waste of time.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve swapped out several IPs and other components on E350 IDI vans. They were not difficult. For working on the top of the engine, spend five minutes and remove the front passenger seat. This gives you great access for work.

Exactly! Thanks for that, and yes I have to remove the passenger seat on my van just to get the doghouse out LOL. Awesome to hear another person say what I was thinking :)

Cheers, and sorry bout your luck Brian I'm not surprised that van sold.. I got mine for $800, and feel very lucky. A guy was going to look at it the next day if I didn't get it. I'm sure he would've boughten it if I hadn't. I also had to drive 2 states away to get mine,and had scoured CL for the better part of a month before mine popped up.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plot thickens, they emailed me at noon and said they still have it.. tried to call back and no answer