Valuation on F350

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 F 350 Crew Cab, needs new injector pump , it is a dually, 7.3 IDI, needs body work and some interior work. Just had new injector put in, glow plug relay. I know pictures would help, but trying to get a ballpark here. It also has sliding rear window, tailgate is gone, GN and Reese hitch about 350,000. Air and heat work and automatic. If I were to put up for sale, what would be a good price on it.

Also, looking at a 91/92 (trying to verify) F250 7.3 IDI , new injectors, needs tires, body in good shape, maybe needs general tune up and paint. Has 200,000 or less on it. What would I expect to pay for this?

I am thinking I might be better off selling mine and buying the other as an estimate for Injector pump is between $1000 - $1800

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Again , I understand pics would help, my truck is at the mechanics and I have not seen the other truck, heard about it from a friends son (he is owner)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a ton of money for an IP swap. Where are you located? Swapping IP's is not difficult and if a member is close to you...... there is a good chance it could be done for the cost of 12 pack of cold ones.LOL

What's the issue with the truck that it needs an IP?

Heath

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is having starting issues, my regular mechanic has had it for two months, we replaced batteries. I spoke with a well recommended Diesel Mechanic, he spoke with my mechanic and he is pretty certain it is the IP. I also had my mechanic run suggested tests (from another thread on here) for checking for air etc. I just absolutely can't afford that kind of money , and I also determined, from the previous thread, that no members are near me :rolleyes: Even if I felt confident changing it , it was not recommended to get a local pump, and right now I can't afford $600 or so to go to conestoga and get one. If I buy the other truck, this guy will finance for short term, making a couple hundred a month payments is easier than trying to save the $$ to get my old truck fixed.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1990 crew cab that runs perfect. Has small issues, but nothing that is going to cost much. I paid $2200 for it. Hope that helps. Van

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but if you fix it then you know what you have right?? I mean i would rather fix it up and atleast you know what has been done to it. even if you go and buy another truck you have no clue what was or has been done to it if anything I would say save your money if you have a spare vehicle use it and then when the time comes fix it and be done with it. just my .02

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
A guy near me has been trying to sell a truck similar to yours for over a year. He is asking $1400 and has had no takers...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 F 350 Crew Cab, needs new injector pump , it is a dually, 7.3 IDI, needs body work and some interior work. Just had new injector put in, glow plug relay. I know pictures would help, but trying to get a ballpark here. It also has sliding rear window, tailgate is gone, GN and Reese hitch about 350,000. Air and heat work and automatic. If I were to put up for sale, what would be a good price on it.

Also, looking at a 91/92 (trying to verify) F250 7.3 IDI , new injectors, needs tires, body in good shape, maybe needs general tune up and paint. Has 200,000 or less on it. What would I expect to pay for this?

I am thinking I might be better off selling mine and buying the other as an estimate for Injector pump is between $1000 - $1800

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Again , I understand pics would help, my truck is at the mechanics and I have not seen the other truck, heard about it from a friends son (he is owner)

a great part in determining the value of your truck is not only the condition, but what part of the country you are in. is you're bashful in telling the city, how about a state at least?
my .02 on fixing/buying.......
fixing a know set of evils is always better unless the money put in has no end in sight.
buying a new set of evils bring a new set of unknowns. none sells because they are happy with their ride.
at 350k on the odo, there are going to be many components from front to back that is worn out. Last year, I did a cross country trip with a truck with more than 300k on the odo, but the maintence history on the truck was extensive and kept current.
more input needed.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shops quoted me around 1800 for an injector pump, and thats not touching the injectors. Pissed me off.

I bought a used pump off here for 50 bones and threw it on and that solved my problem.

***not all used pump storys turn out this great***

The injector pump swap job sounds difficult, scary, and people who aren't so knowledgeable (maintenance guys at my first aviation job, NOT guys on here, this is probably the best knowledge base of the ford idis on the internet IMO) will tell you its difficult.

Just by reading articles on here and doing a little research, I did the swap and got timing pretty good by myself working in the street in front of my house. I feel like if I did another one I could knock it out real fast. I would NOT recommend selling your truck with your KNOWN issue to buy a different truck with there UNKNOWN issue. When you buy used vehicles, that's basically what your buying; someones problems. At least you know whats wrong with yours.

Only special tool I had to go to my toolbox at work and pickup was a 30/60 snap on wrench to get at the 3 nuts holding the pump to the timing housing. Lots of people can grind down harbor freight junk and accomplish the same thing. However I barely ever use those damn snap on 30 60s and paid a TON for them to any excuse to get my money out of them is good! Even at half price the set was still over 300 I think. damn snap on.

sorry for the novel but thats the best advice I can think of. If you live near a member maybe they can help you out. I dont think i'm the only one who has no problem working for a few beers or a big sandwich, keeps me outta trouble.

*** EDIT **** ALso if your going to keep the truck for a while go with a reputable pump builder, none of that "it flows so its good" pensacola style crap.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to your original point, trouble is lots of guys who want automatic 2wd duallys want to tow stuff around the country like an RV or something, and most of those guys probably dont want to get involved with a truck with known issues already and that many miles. Id OPTIMISTICALLY ask 2000 and hope you live in an area with a shortage of crew cabs, but realisticly these can be had in running shape 2wd for 1200 bones all day long with less miles. Your truck could be mint though, again, no pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online