vacumm issuses

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
hey guys im having a weird vacumm issue. i have a vacum gauge hooked inline with my pump.i always bulld about 15-20hg... i shut my truck of yesterday and started it up like ten minutes later, went driving down the road and to my supprise my breakes decided to take a brake on me and not be there totallly, manual brakes lol. but anyways what happening, is when im driving about 1700rpm ive can hold about 10hg in the pump but as soon as i let off it goes down, or if i hit the brakes its gone instantly, i checked for leaks couldnt find anything. so i disconnected the main line and there was little to no vacumm. and sometimes it works like it should...... what is the problem anyone else have an issue like this before. i couldnt find leaks or anything wrong wondering if it is my vacumm pump itself?? let me know cause its not raining out at the moment and i can check it out. all your help is appreciated

thanks

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Go grab a pump and do the hoses just on principle. Then start saving for a Hydroboost conversion ( much nicer/safer ).

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
its inline from the pump to the distro block it usually sits around 15 at idle and 20 when cruising but the last day or so it has hardly been reading 5 just randomly started happening....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Sounds like to me the vacuum pump is on it's last leg. But I would check one last time for a loose or broken hose somewhere in the system, but again it sounds like to me the vacuum pump is going.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Cool thanks ill look into it some more. And when i was looking for a pump yesterday they asked if it was built after a certain date in 1992 but you put the two pumps side by side there almost the same looking what is the diffdrence in them? I can get a remand one for 219.00 is that price sound about right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The price sounds really high for a simple vacuum pump. The only real differance in pumps is one has threads in the housing tomount it and the other one does not have threads. Sometimes the direction of the vac line is pointed differantly too. P.S. They pull vacuum running in either direction so don't let some parts clerk tell you differantly.