Uugghh now what

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to jack the truck up at all. You just climb under there and rotate each axle shaft(visible at the knuckle). It should spin freely enough to be rotated by hand, both directions.

edit:
also, in my experience, if the shaft won't unlock, it's due to the hub on that side.
Take the hub off(6 allen-head bolts), and the whole assembly comes off. That assembly should be together, with a spring in the middle. If the spring is loose, you need to replace that hub.

Also, with the hub off, the shaft should unlock and stay unlocked. If it's still locked, you will need to look deeper.

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey that is some thorough help guys thank you so much... that really gives me a clearer idea and confidence... dohave a mental idea of what it is I am doing... I don't have much motivation... actually more like discouragement...especially in this cold :) in the mean time the extra noise doesn't really mean that I am going to burn up the zf5 does it? That has been my big stressor since this started.. mess in with hubs is one thing but tranny another...