Ran good now will not start.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 1986 F250 with a na 6.9. The last time I had it running was about three weeks ago. It ran fine but has always been a little sluggish to start. Compression is 335-340 cold. No leaks from anywhere. Lift pump is putting out a steady stream of fuel. Lift pump is manual cam driven pump. The fuel switch clicks when I turn the key on. Not a lot of pressure on the Schrader valve but fuel runs out. Fairly new glow plugs with manual activator.
I went out to start it and it started to fire once but from then on it just cranks. It has two good interstate batteries that I keep topped off with a Battery tender. The engine cranks over quite fast but will not start now. Do the IPs go out like that? Was running but now nothing. The fuel tank is 3/4 full. I use this for plowing a mile and a half mountain road in the winter but do not use it a lot more than that. It rides like it has concrete tires on it....lol. This truck was "supposedly" only used to plow a church parking lot in Colorado. It puts out a little blue smoke until fully warmed up. Probabley sticky rings? Might be the reason for the low compression also?? I had changed the oil and put in the Hot Shot stiction eliminator at the oil change hoping to free the rings up some about a month before this happened.

I guess my question is, is it possible that the IP just took a dump? Should there be pressure on the schrader valve? I know the compression is a bit low but in the winter it always started right up with the heater plugged in .

Thanks for any help.
Ron

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify
fuel delivery in a 30 second crank with FRESH battery 's
prove no air intrusion
check fsv
bypass fuel system and catchcan fuel to mech pump then gravity to ip
report back...
Godspeed

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up air intrusion
Check fuel solenoid for 12v

Ronw435

Reaction score
Can I ask how to gravity feed the IP? Can I remove the top and do it that way?
I have verified 12 volts to the FS. It also clicks when 12 volts is applied.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Well I opened the top of the fuel pump and found this laying in there???? It looks like half of a maybe 1 inch washer. Looks like its time to contact one of the members that rebuild idi IPs. Fuel pump was full of fuel. I checked the fuel solenoid with it off and it looks great and works when engergized.

Attachments

• 0910211028b[1].jpg
    0910211028b[1].jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
,gallon jug up high above up, girl line to the IP inletbypass everything...where did ya find that ?
In the Top of ip you mean?

Ronw435

Reaction score
Yes I opened the top of the IP and found half of a large washer laying in there. IP was full of fuel. Called CDD and they said it will have to be rebuilt. I ordered a rebuilt IP and rebuilt injectors coming from CDD.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Well I pulled the pump and injectors today. The injectors seemed awful clean. All I have done is wipe them off with a paper towel. Also all the injectors had the letter E stamped on them except one. It had a D. Can someone tell me what the letters mean?

Attachments

• 0911211117_HDR[1].jpg
    0911211117_HDR[1].jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 0911211117a_HDR[1].jpg
    0911211117a_HDR[1].jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 4

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those were codes for the different types of injectors when they were new. After being rebuilt, those letters really mean nothing. Each rebuilder sets them to his/her preferred specs, not what Stanadyne set them to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle