US Gear Overdrive is in!

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Well I got a chance to put the US Gear overdrive unit in the wifes van (88 E-350, 7.3, C-6) yesterday. It went pretty smooth except for a bolt the guy broke taking it out. I had to drill & tap one of the bolts where the adapter mounts to the cross member. I also had to weld the cross member because it had some cracks in it.

So I'll be dropping off the drive shaft tomorrow. They're making a 2 piece one for me. I also need to get a circuit breaker & in line fuse. Once I finish wiring it I'll just have to wait until the end of the week to get the shaft back.

Then I can see how much MPG's i gain. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure when you take your drive shaft in, that you give them the U-joints you plan to use. They will balance the shaft and joints together for the optimum in smoothness. ;Sweet

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
It was fairly straight forward to install. Take tailshaft off tranny, bolt on adapter, bolt on overdrive unit, run wiring & make connections :thumbsup: .

It's operated by a thumb switch mounted on the shifter arm on the steering column. You can leave it in overdrive & don't have to turn it off ,like the Gear Vendors, when you slow down. It will just change your ratios.

I'll post some pics. later but really nothing to look at until it's painted, just a regular 15 pass. Body has a tiny surface rust where someone scraped something & a couple small dings but is really solid. A church in Delaware had it since new & only put 54K original on it. They took pretty good mechanical care of it.

When i took the shaft in he said he would put greaseable u- joints in & balance the whole thing. It won't really be a 2 piece shaft but will have a greaseable splined section up at the u-joint by the overdrive unit. should have it in a couple days;Sweet .