US Gear 2wd C6 under/overdrive

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
hello all. i parted out a 86 IDI van and have this C6 and gear splitter. sadly i spaced out on pulling the wiring before i junked the van.

i drove the truck but didnt try the gear splitter. im selling it as parts as-is.

$250 for splitter with adapter.. $200 for c6 (may keep it) located in santa rosa, CA

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make a offer including shipping. I may have over estimated it a little.
Actually, given how heavy these bloody things are, you may have underestimated it a bit :shocked: I would be surprised if it didn't have to ship at freight rates...

More importantly, were you able to determine whether it's an overdrive or an underdrive? That can greatly affect the value of one of these...an overdrive is considerably more valuable than an underdrive is.

It's really a shame that you didn't pull the wiring...if you had, I might have bought it just to get my hands on the wiring (and to have spare parts)...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
This is a newer unit that is both under and over? Switch showed arrows up and down.

Yeah, well the wiring is gone now so no use in reminding me.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a newer unit that is both under and over? Switch showed arrows up and down.

that is news to me. I've opened up quite a few of these and never seen over/under in the same box.
direct/over or direct/under yes, but never under/direct/over.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
OK my bad. Don't bash me. I thought the older doug Nash ones were just under or over.

Other then removing it is there another way to check via numbers?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to check would be to disconnect the unit from the transmission, then spin the input shaft by hand and see how fast the output shaft spins. If it spins at the same speed, you'll need to shift gears...IIRC for a one-time thing, you can connect one side to positive and the other side to ground (not sure which way you'll need to go; if it won't shift while you are slowly turning the input shaft, reverse the polarity). After it shifts, see if the output shaft spins faster or slower, then you have your answer ;Sweet

The other thing this will do is tell you what condition the motor's in...that motor's a high-value item that may or may not be replaceable, and if the motor's burned out, that lowers the value of the box significantly.

BTW, if you want to get an idea of value...I paid $650 for an overdrive unit, compared to $100 for an underdrive unit (bought it for spare parts). YMMV...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK my bad. Don't bash me. I thought the older doug Nash ones were just under or over.

Other then removing it is there another way to check via numbers?

not really. since they don't exist anymore. up until two years ago, someone still answered the phones and sold parts.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not really. since they don't exist anymore. up until two years ago, someone still answered the phones and sold parts.
What he said. At this point, any effort to contact them gets you a curt "We don't support them, leave us alone" from a representative of the company that bought U.S. Gear out.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
ill get on it and find out. i sent the van to pick n pull but i also cut the whole front end off so im not sure if they even put it in the yard

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I thought these all gear driven units just had a simple on or off switch to put them in gear or out of gear. These differ from the Gear Vendors because these are working on first gear from a dead stop. They are a positive gear engagement too. That small electric motor loads a spring. Then you lift off the throttle a tiny bit and it shifts quickly into gear either up or down. The Gv needs hydraulic pressure to shift and its a clutch engagement. Not gears. You have to be rolling around 20 mph to make the GV work and they wont work on the dead start like US Gear units will. Another selling point of the GV is if it breaks you can still run but not so with the US Gear units... Also Towcat has posted thet he has seen the GV units break so badly they stopped the trucks from moving down the road... Thats unusual....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I thought these all gear driven units just had a simple on or off switch to put them in gear or out of gear. These differ from the Gear Vendors because these are working on first gear from a dead stop. They are a positive gear engagement too. That small electric motor loads a spring. Then you lift off the throttle a tiny bit and it shifts quickly into gear either up or down. The Gv needs hydraulic pressure to shift and its a clutch engagement. Not gears. You have to be rolling around 20 mph to make the GV work and they wont work on the dead start like US Gear units will. Another selling point of the GV is if it breaks you can still run but not so with the US Gear units... Also Towcat has posted thet he has seen the GV units break so badly they stopped the trucks from moving down the road... Thats unusual....
FWIW, what towcat said about GV's breaking so badly as to stop trucks from moving altogether...I've heard that before as well. Actually, from what I gather, the only way a U.S. Gear unit is going to fail in a way to keep the truck off the road altogether is if the shift motor fails in mid-shift (or if it loses oil and seizes up, but that could easily happen to any gearbox).

As to the electrical parts...as I understand it, the shift motor on the Doug Nash/U.S. Gear units is a reverse-polarity setup. I could certainly be wrong, but from what I've researched and gathered, it sounds like the early units have microswitches in the motor assembly that cut 12 volt power to the motor when the shift is complete, and the later units have an electronic control box that automatically cuts power (either on a timer, or based on sensed current flow; I'm not certain). I have to say, though, that I would be happy with a definitive answer...I'm deathly afraid of burning out the motor on my unit when I first hook it up :shocked:

IMHO the single biggest argument for the GV unit is that they're still sold and supported. Doug Nash/U.S. Gear unit owners are pretty much on their own at this point...to be completely honest, while I am committed to the Doug Nash unit now, if I knew then what I know now, I would have opted for a GV. But, it is what it is...