US Gear 2wd C6 under/overdrive

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, what towcat said about GV's breaking so badly as to stop trucks from moving altogether...I've heard that before as well. Actually, from what I gather, the only way a U.S. Gear unit is going to fail in a way to keep the truck off the road altogether is if the shift motor fails in mid-shift (or if it loses oil and seizes up, but that could easily happen to any gearbox).

As to the electrical parts...as I understand it, the shift motor on the Doug Nash/U.S. Gear units is a reverse-polarity setup. I could certainly be wrong, but from what I've researched and gathered, it sounds like the early units have microswitches in the motor assembly that cut 12 volt power to the motor when the shift is complete, and the later units have an electronic control box that automatically cuts power (either on a timer, or based on sensed current flow; I'm not certain). I have to say, though, that I would be happy with a definitive answer...I'm deathly afraid of burning out the motor on my unit when I first hook it up :shocked:

IMHO the single biggest argument for the GV unit is that they're still sold and supported. Doug Nash/U.S. Gear unit owners are pretty much on their own at this point...to be completely honest, while I am committed to the Doug Nash unit now, if I knew then what I know now, I would have opted for a GV. But, it is what it is...

I have an O/D unit made by G/V and I have not been able to get parts for it ... can you post a link as to where i may be able to get parts for it ... I was getting 33 MPG when it was in my dually and I can only get around 26 w/o it

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all. i parted out a 86 IDI van and have this C6 and gear splitter. sadly i spaced out on pulling the wiring before i junked the van.

i drove the truck but didnt try the gear splitter. im selling it as parts as-is.

$250 for splitter with adapter.. $200 for c6 (may keep it) located in santa rosa, CA

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I would be interested in purchasing this unit ... I am currently moving back to OK from CO but could you check the Freight rates for zip 74601 for shipping ...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an O/D unit made by G/V and I have not been able to get parts for it ... can you post a link as to where i may be able to get parts for it ... I was getting 33 MPG when it was in my dually and I can only get around 26 w/o it

you have a choice of getting a complete unit from GV or from "maximum overdrive"(google them up)
i've bought rebuild kits from max od before, but if you break a input shaft, you're stuck getting a complete unit from GV.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Its a overdrive! :)

FWIW, what towcat said about GV's breaking so badly as to stop trucks from moving altogether...I've heard that before as well. Actually, from what I gather, the only way a U.S. Gear unit is going to fail in a way to keep the truck off the road altogether is if the shift motor fails in mid-shift (or if it loses oil and seizes up, but that could easily happen to any gearbox).

As to the electrical parts...as I understand it, the shift motor on the Doug Nash/U.S. Gear units is a reverse-polarity setup. I could certainly be wrong, but from what I've researched and gathered, it sounds like the early units have microswitches in the motor assembly that cut 12 volt power to the motor when the shift is complete, and the later units have an electronic control box that automatically cuts power (either on a timer, or based on sensed current flow; I'm not certain). I have to say, though, that I would be happy with a definitive answer...I'm deathly afraid of burning out the motor on my unit when I first hook it up :shocked:

IMHO the single biggest argument for the GV unit is that they're still sold and supported. Doug Nash/U.S. Gear unit owners are pretty much on their own at this point...to be completely honest, while I am committed to the Doug Nash unit now, if I knew then what I know now, I would have opted for a GV. But, it is what it is...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Lmao I was expecting to find something "weird" in that overdrive link..

Tried 12v to motor with no go. Removed side inspection plate. Turned screw actuator connected to motor. Mark splines, turn and count

how did you verify? i may be interested if I can verify that is a OD unit and not a UD unit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lmao I was expecting to find something "weird" in that overdrive link..

Tried 12v to motor with no go. Removed side inspection plate. Turned screw actuator connected to motor. Mark splines, turn and count

so the motor is doa?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ehh.. no. Ill hold onto it. $250 as is includes adapter for c6 but I think you don't need that.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• SL377096.JPG
    SL377096.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 3
  • SL377097.JPG
    SL377097.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 3
  • SL377099.JPG