Up grade for 1993 idi ?towing

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No beating a first gen stroke, but ford went cheap and bought navistar, rather than......
The bump in the ats turbo for ford verses the non factory housing is rather telling "no?"
Count the dots, word puzzle.

Last edited:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The claim , from my reading, is that the main webs in the turbo block are .100 thicker, casting #10809000C3 serial #1116331 to end of production. Is it true that all NA engine only have 1/8 oil feed in the rear of the engine. Not trying to argue or anything , just nice to share and hear different information that is out there on these.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The claim , from my reading, is that the main webs in the turbo block are .100 thicker, casting #10809000C3 serial #1116331 to end of production. Is it true that all NA engine only have 1/8 oil feed in the rear of the engine. Not trying to argue or anything , just nice to share and hear different information that is out there on these.
I don’t believe there is any change to the webs, but I haven’t measured to be sure. Every failure I have had in an na motor has been connecting rod related, so I don’t think it would even make a difference. And no, no argument just an exchange of ideas

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that’s been the big benefit I’ve found to building the turbo engines. Haven’t broken an idit rod even with 100s of hp of nitrous and lots of drive pressure.

Pat Devlin

Reaction score
I really appreciate the knowledge here.cause this being my first diesel I'm learning,with a camper on truck I don't think I will ever tow more then say 10,000-12,000 so I am getting a ats trans,and then going into some up grades .I will google pyrometer to see what that is .But .cant afford a new diesel.so have been told after compression check this is a good motor .this 93 f350 don't even have a cup holder lmao .lost like a cart in a wind storm .Thanks again.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the knowledge here.cause this being my first diesel I'm learning,with a camper on truck I don't think I will ever tow more then say 10,000-12,000 so I am getting a ats trans,and then going into some up grades .I will google pyrometer to see what that is .But .cant afford a new diesel.so have been told after compression check this is a good motor .this 93 f350 don't even have a cup holder lmao .lost like a cart in a wind storm .Thanks again.
Pyrometer measures exhaust temp. 1100 perfectly safe. 1200, back out a little/don’t hold it there all day. 1300, let off throttle, under no circumstance sustain this temperature. That’s how I read my pyro. Usually stare at it while towing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewes
Any indication that advanced timing could cause rod failure?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thewes
Any indication that advanced timing could cause rod failure?
Advanced timing makes more cylinder pressure but these trucks don’t run well with a lot of injection timing since IDIs have about a 17* ignition delay on top of the 7-9* of injection advance. I’ve had trucks come in with 20+ degrees of advance that drove to the shop, just not very well. Point being you can’t put too much timing in if you are going for power, because the truck will run poorly when it’s got too much in it. If you keep it like that and flog on it with too much timing you may have issues, but the rod failures I’ve seen have just been from the rod not being able to handle the power

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thicker webs have been referred to in a few places (I also have NOT measured to confirm), as well as the 1/4” oil feed for the turbo; the NA engines use this port for the oil pressure sensor so volume isn’t an issue—unless you add a turbo.
This link shows some core differences in the various components. Do note that it adds a “?” after some differences indicating the author apparently has not personally confirmed this either:dunno.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2006/07/rebuilding-the-international-6-97-3l-powerstroke-engine/

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thicker webs have been referred to in a few places (I also have NOT measured to confirm), as well as the 1/4” oil feed for the turbo; the NA engines use this port for the oil pressure sensor so volume isn’t an issue—unless you add a turbo.
This link shows some core differences in the various components. Do note that it adds a “?” after some differences indicating the author apparently has not personally confirmed this either:dunno.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2006/07/rebuilding-the-international-6-97-3l-powerstroke-engine/
Same magazine I was quoting my information from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online