un hooking the wastgate from the turbo

Big Boss Hoss

Reaction score
So i unhooked the wastgate vacum line?? thing from the turbo and now she snorts so much better!!! Is there a way to dial it back some with out unhooking it all togher??? How bad is this for my turbo's life do ya figure? Thanks

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
well you can put a manual boos controller on there, basically a valve that goes between the turbo housing and the wastegate actuator. the more the valve is closed the less air pressure the actuator thinks the turbo is putting out so it stays closed longer. Used all the time in the turbo import tuner crowd. Cheap too. Unless you get one that is electronically controlled with a s switch with different psi settings.

Big Boss Hoss

Reaction score
yes all boost all the time is fun but i reconected the hose until i get a pyro and boost gauge in there so i have some idea of what's going on in my engine.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
I met an old lad in Florida that spliced a short piece of copper pipe into the hose. The copper pipe had a small hole drilled in its side (he had to fiddle with hole size to get it right) it reduced the vacuum applied to the diaphragm and increased boost psi.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Why do you want rice burner stuff under your hood when all you have to do is unhook the rod that works the wastegate and I believe screw it in, there maybe a little nobby thing on it that needs ground off. You do need to get a pyro and boost gauge first though.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I guess Im lazy or just dont like screwing with the mechanical function of the wastegate. I just look at it, why take something appart and risk damaging something, or spend more effort and time making something, when you can buy it for a few bucks, cut the line, mount the valve in line and adjust to desired levell.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
because its only 2 bolts and an E clip to remove the wastegate diaphram drill out the little dimples that lock it in place you can add another nut to lock it in place but mines never moved. and then put it back on took me all of five minutes and it was free and easy and no extra junk on the truck

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill the dimple and screw the rod in a few turns and WA LA. You will have couple psi more. What the chances of getting a boost controller and you wanting to turn down the boost? Highly unlikley since you can only run up around 12-15 psi boost anyway. I also agree with getting a boost and pyro guage before tampering with anything or you might not have to worry about how to control your boost but replacing head gaskets.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Unhooking the wastegate will not hurt anything at all. Just watch the boost PSI. Depending on what your comfortable with for boost PSI you may not need a boost control valve to the wastegate.

I do not know where the wastegate gets its boost from, but on some Cummins turbos its on the housing. Clicky here ------> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice the allen head on the elbow, thats the adjuster for boost PSI to the wastegate. You could plumb this in by using an adapter to go from pipe to a nipple instead of screwing it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online