U-joint & Ball joint tools

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on a set of tools for removing/replacing the u-joints and ball joints.
I have seen the sets you can buy that are inclusive of doing both although I don't want to get a set that's not going to be the right size for the truck.
I would appreciate it if anyone knows the part number of a good set to buy.
Also, I'm not looking to buy a "one time use" harbor freight special nor a professional "break the bank" set. Something that will last but not make me broke.
Thanks!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The harbor freight one does work and is cheap. It's not like you are going to use this very much is it? Or are you going in the business of replacing balljoints and frontend work?

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the harbor freight one on a couple of trucks and it's stood up to having an impact press out some rusty joints. I just checked and there's a couple of mac brand sets on ebay for 125 or so. I understand liking to have good tools, lord knows I don't need any of the high end stuff I have, but unless you pony up $300+, I'm not sure you can do much better than the HF set. Especially for the home shop, where you do ball joints once every, what, 5 years? And that's if you drive washed out oilfield road a thousand miles a week. I'm not trying to talk you out of it; if I had the coin (and maybe you do) I'd make it rain on the snap-on van every WEEK. I'm just trying to illustrate why I chose to save money on a tool I won't need again until my truck crosses the 400,000 mile mark.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just do the u-joints with a couple sockets and a hammer...one to hit em out with and one to receive the cup inside the socket and rest on the yoke ears. The ball joints require the press which like said above can be found cheap at harbor freight. I try not to ever use air impact on the u-joints as there is a risk of the needle bearings falling over from the impact and ruining them. I usually install the cups with the trunion in a large vice. Works every time nice n smooth.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having done the ujoints via BAV or press or two sockets method, I'm watching this thread.

I'm partial to a good tool, as I can see a cheap HF C frame when under tension snapping and or exploding and sending parts flying into one's body, eyes or what have you...DON"T forget eye protection!!!!

I've never used one of these Ujoint/balljoint kits but boy these seem handy!

Watching this thread closely to learn what others have experienced. Oh linky please to MAC kit?

TY

Al

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OTC master ball joint set is the same master set MAC and Matco put their name on. I like the set personally. I mustve put a million comcast e-van ball joints in with it and havent had my C-clamp bend/strip out or crack yet. It's sitting in my box now but I couldnt tell ya the part number sittin here right now. May be able to search it online quicker than me goin into work tomorow and typing it up here but i will anyways if no one has by that time. If my memory serves me right I paid about 470$ for mine about 10 years ago. It will do almost any ball joint except 4x4 dodge trucks 3/4 and 1 ton i think...and the newer subarus lol.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I have the basic OTC set and can do u-joints and ball joints on all my trucks with it. Does not work very well on the Dodge axleshaft u-joints because they are so wide, but it does work. Mine was around $100 or so.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The matco part number for the master ball joint set off my set is MST6530 for those who were curious.

Thanks for the set part number. That's a real nice set with a lot of options for a decent array of bushings/bearings/joints. This may be something I look into getting for all my projects.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the basic OTC set and can do u-joints and ball joints on all my trucks with it. Does not work very well on the Dodge axleshaft u-joints because they are so wide, but it does work. Mine was around $100 or so.

Iowa? Do you have a set part number for the set you have. Like I mentioned, my concern is buying the wrong set that won't be big enough or just the wrong size. Thanks.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The harbor freight one does work and is cheap. It's not like you are going to use this very much is it? Or are you going in the business of replacing balljoints and frontend work?

Thanks franklin. Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of Harbor Freight stuff as it allows me to get more tools for my money if I'm not using it often or in a heavy duty situation. I do intend to use such a tool though on a a bunch of vehicles and for a long time.
My main thinking is tools like this one will be good at the track for my road race car where I will gladly spend an extra $100 on something that will be reliable at anytime.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just used the loaner one from autozone. Worked great. The rental price was $100, and I think they rent them for replacement price or new price. You can buy a new one there also.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online