U-Haul IP's

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know how to put this, but here's the story so all of you who purchased any U-Haul pumps may know. I bought seven of the IP's, used two of them for myself, sold three of them at no profit. Now one that I just sold, has a heat soak problem. No other pump has had a problem. Being that all the pumps that I have/had were rebuilt by DieseLogic, I found there website with a place to contact them by email. The return email stated that the pump had to be rebuilt. The email had all there phone #s, so I called the person who answered my email. He stated that DieseLogic had rebuilt over 5000 pumps for U-Haul, but they haven't done any for over seven years and that the shelf life is not that long. He did state that U-Haul should NOT have sold them. I surely was NOT aware of this. He did say that they may just be sticky inside after they heat up. IIRC that some members here said that the fuel cutoff wouldn't open after being hot, I don't mean that the solenoid wouldn't operate. IIRC some said that soaking the IP in ATF overnight did help clean them out. Personally I don't know how a head and rotor would go bad just setting on a shelf, maybe they just gum up from the preservator they fill them with.

email from them
Hello Bill,

The injection pump is in need of repair. The symptoms that you mentioned is probably a bad head and rotor.
Please call for assistance

Andre Anderson
1-904-786-7402 ext 2
Service

The pic shows the fuel cutoff mechanism.

Attachments

• DVC01374.JPG
    DVC01374.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 238

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats the *****.. Seven years is a long time for something to sit on a shelf but... What can happen internally... Might just repair itself with a heavy load of atf overnite too. Its the simplest easy and cheap repair idea. I sure would be going that way first off Was there any reason given for saying that uhaul should not have sold those pumps...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason was because they sat so long and don't have a shelf life like that, if I read right.

Here's hoping mine doesn't mess up

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I am the one that has the heat soak problem and i will try soaking it in atf over night and see what happens.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
mine ran ok for awhile but i noticed it was starting to surge like my old one did slightly before i tore down the truck. if nothing else mine may end up a candidate for a moose pump core

built4tq1

Reaction score
Perhaps it would be best to fill it with atf and or atf and a seafoam mix, spin the front shaft a few times then let it sit for a day or so before its installed on the engine? I wonder if this added preserver becomes dry and crystallizes after years of setting and causes excessive wear on the head and rotor? I too have purchased one from you, but have yet to install it...I will try this method and see if it helps... Thank you for your honesty Bill..very stand up in my book..

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reason the head and rotor is bad is because it was rebuilt that way, there is no way it can go bad sitting. And you gotta remember that a uhaul as had fuel from all over the us, I bet he said they shouldnt have sold them because he knew they were marginal rebuilds, one of mine was fine , the other one the shaft seal leaks. I have them bench tested before install. Its worth the 85.00

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have around 5000 miles on mine, works fine once i figured out they have 7.3 linkage and modified it for the 6.9. It only got 3/4 throttle before modification.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Interesting...

I hope the IDI wizards will respond to Dieselogics assertion.

I have several of these pumps, but haven't installed one yet.

I think I'll soak one in a 30/70 mixture of diesel/DieselKleen, while sitting in an ultrasonic tank for a few hours, then hang it on an engine. If that doesn't clean it out, it has serious problems.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
when i had to pop the top on mine to change out the throttle shaft it looked great on the inside. non of the oil that was in there was dried out or varnish like, everything inside i could see moved cleanly. only problem i see is the new pump only runs marginally better than my old one, if someone were to swap it out without me knowing i would not have noticed a differance (and yes the old and new were timed properly). i will admit i have not taken the time to turn up the fuel yet.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?55796-changing-IP-pump-shaft-help
with that said it seems to run just fine.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see their concern if it were just metering valve issues. But not the head and rotor. I've had sticky metering valves on pumps that have sat a while, but never heat soak.

Heath

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one last summer & installed, haven't had any problems yet.
Would be interesting to start a poll on this thread, (if possible) and see how many pumps had problems, etc.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
It seems logical that these pumps have sat around a long, LONG time since U-haul retired most, if not all of their IDI fleet long ago.

I haven't seen an IDI Ford at a Uhaul rental center in years.

I bought one and haven't seen any issue with it yet. But, I did know when I bought it that odds were it was a long-ago rebuild that's sat on the shelf for some time, based on the previously mentioned logic.

You get what you pay for 100 out of 100 times. :sly I bought it to get me down the road for a little while, in the mean time I've been saving my nickles and dimes up for the moose'ing the money pit deserves... :D

Any fleet rebuild is going to be marginal at best. These trucks were never repaired under the intention that they be completely reliable. I've personally been stranded by Uhaul trucks more than a time or two. It's no skin off their backs if your stuck somewhere with a heat soaked IP with your belongings in the back of the van. They were probably rebuilt under that pretense. Just make it run, get it down the road a little longer... :confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted before about U-haul cores I've gotten, with failed solenoids and the like. Like Typ4 said, a heat soak issue is not going to go away. However, you can run a bit of WMO in your fuel, which can help a little depending on how bad it is. The added viscosity is the reason. Pumps that sit are a big problem. This is why I always insist on a running core. It NEEDS to have just come out of a running truck to be a good candidate. The amount of time it takes to clean up a pump that has sat, greatly increases the cost to rebuild it. Now a freshly rebuilt pump, if it's done right, CAN sit in storage, as long as it is climate controlled and a constant temperature, in a sealed plastic bag.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
well I tried soaking my pump and it did not fix it. Now I am looking to see if there is another thing I can try