1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin Pyrometers?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by KevSrFord, Jul 28, 2019.

1. sjwelds

sjwelds Full Access Member

Those holes are plenty small IMO. Seems like they'll soot up and plug shut in no time.

2. renjaminfrankln

renjaminfrankln Supporting Member Supporting Member

My truck (turbo) currently has a 3" exhaust with an aftermarket chamber style muffler. I'd like to be able to hear the turbo a bit, thinking a straight-through is the way to go. Are these glass packed? Which brands can yall recommend?

Don't want to run completely without a muffler. The truck had no muffler when I got it, and it was a bit too loud for my taste.

3. carsonlhammond

carsonlhammond Registered User

I run a 3in. dia. 20in. long thrush glass pack that I got at the local Oriellys. You can barely hear the exhaust at all unless you’re in an area where the echo is really good.

4. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

Love the Auber gauges and nice job on the pod! Maybe in a nitro burning or super hi- po engine, but in what is essentially an industrial power plant?

5. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Why not?
    You know how many people are running around with trashed injectors?
    Why not have the ability to know what's going on right off the bat?
    I don't see why anyone would be against it.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. bbjordan

bbjordan Snow Monkey

Why stop at 2? Why not 1 per cylinder? In fact, you already have a probe in each cylinder: the glow plug provides a millivolt signal. I have seen other threads where guys have hooked up gauges to monitor them. The problem is they don't give you a temperature reading. They give a millivolt reading. While having comparative and relative data is good, it's not temperature.

I'm sure someone smarter than me could take that millivolt signal, massage the data and provide a temperature readout. Arduino perhaps?

If you had access to the programming on an ECU, and could tie into the CAN Bus, you could tune each cylinder individually. I'm just talking crazy now. LOL

carsonlhammond likes this.
  7. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

Definitely not against it.
    If I bought a truck that had twin (or oct!) pyrometers properly installed, I would be happy! However, if money and/or time were tight the only thing I would move me to run two would be a turbo on each bank...

chillman88 and 79jasper like this.