Turboing a n/a 7.3idi

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The reason most turbos(all the kits I've seen so far) have the sender after the turbo(mounted on top) is that if anything fails and you lose oil pressure to the turbo, you know it. No chance of starving the turbo without knowing it.
That being said, you only want a single sender mounted to the top of the turbo. Any more(say for an aftermarket gage) and you should use a flexible line from the turbo port to the side of the engine where your senders are - too much weight up top can crack fittings at the turbo or on your tee(due to vibration).
Very good points.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you are buying new(vs used/donor), check out R&D idi performance. They are making new kits and parts.

Best advise IMO (and because it's what I did and I'm never wrong lol! Disclaimer: Ignore all my other posts where I'm incorrect).

Really, I think R&D has are the best design out there with the powerstroke style up pipes and headers. Great quality as well. I bought the builders kits or whatever it's called but I had an existing turbo that had just been rebuilt. I did need to fab a down pipe, but used a 94 powerstroke 3" down pipe. You just make one cut and turn - there's and article on here somewhere showing it.

IF YOU CANNOT WELD do not go with the R&D builders kit. Get the complete kit, which is another $1k or something or go with a factory set up as mentioned. The actual turbo is a whole other can of worms on what to use and of course highly debated lol but just get it working.

If you buy used I highly suggest rebuilding the turbo before you put it on just because it's already in your hands and they are relatively cheap to rebuild.

Oh, and do an intercooler while you got it apart no matter what. There is a reason why most if not all modern turbo diesels are intercooled. It's a major piece of the puzzle.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't over look the necessity of a good pyrometer when adding a turbo. Equally important is proper installation / location of the probe. Failing to keep exhaust temps below recommended max will quickly destroy your engine. Also suggest you know and understand boost limitations with and without studs prior to making your purchase.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you buy used I highly suggest rebuilding the turbo before you put it on just because it's already in your hands and they are relatively cheap to rebuild.

Oh, and do an intercooler while you got it apart no matter what. There is a reason why most if not all modern turbo diesels are intercooled. It's a major piece of the puzzle.
Yes and yes!
Don't over look the necessity of a good pyrometer when adding a turbo. Equally important is proper installation / location of the probe. Failing to keep exhaust temps below recommended max will quickly destroy your engine. Also suggest you know and understand boost limitations with and without studs prior to making your purchase.
And yes once again!

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Hey y'all thanks for all the advice!! I really appreciate the help!! But I have decided to sell my idi and buy a friend of mines built 95 7.3 PSD...is a lot better truck than mine with a TON of power.
That said... Mine is for sale for 5500....it is a 92 F250 XLT 7.3 idi n/a 4x4 with a zf5...I've had the truck for 6 months and the man I bought it from had done the following to it.... New radiator, everything for the a/c system is brand new, new heads and head gaskets, new injectors, new glow plugs and controller, new brakes, and somewhat new tires, and a hypermax cowl intake kit....I have put a a new alternator, new Monroe heavy-duty shocks, a new gear reduction starter, headache rack with bed rails, new headlight lenses, extra marker lights here and there, about $600 even dry sell Interstate Batteries, a high-quality stereo system in it with an amp into 12-inch Subs that will go with the truck. Like I said my price is 5500 the lowest I will go is probably 5100.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Hey y'all thanks for all the advice!! I really appreciate the help!! But I have decided to sell my idi and buy a friend of mines built 95 7.3 PSD...is a lot better truck than mine with a TON of power.
That said... Mine is for sale for 5500....it is a 92 F250 XLT 7.3 idi n/a 4x4 with a zf5...I've had the truck for 6 months and the man I bought it from had done the following to it.... New radiator, everything for the a/c system is brand new, new heads and head gaskets, new injectors, new glow plugs and controller, new brakes, and somewhat new tires, and a hypermax cowl intake kit....I have put a a new alternator, new Monroe heavy-duty shocks, a new gear reduction starter, headache rack with bed rails, new headlight lenses, extra marker lights here and there, about $600 even dry sell Interstate Batteries, a high-quality stereo system in it with an amp into 12-inch Subs that will go with the truck. Like I said my price is 5500 the lowest I will go is probably 5100.

This is the truck
You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the same thing (adding a turbo to my '93 N/A 7.3). Today I picked up a mostly-complete factory turbo setup from member TurboSurge :)But the downpipe was in poor shape so that's missing. Also I didn't get the airbox/filter.

Any recommendations here? I wasn't planning on getting fancy with cold air intakes, sewer-sized downpipes, etc. I've read that a PowerStroke downpipe can be modified to fit. What should I use for an airbox - or just pick up a used factory one? thanks.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ru
I'm doing the same thing (adding a turbo to my '93 N/A 7.3). Today I picked up a mostly-complete factory turbo setup from member TurboSurge :)But the downpipe was in poor shape so that's missing. Also I didn't get the airbox/filter.

Any recommendations here? I wasn't planning on getting fancy with cold air intakes, sewer-sized downpipes, etc. I've read that a PowerStroke downpipe can be modified to fit. What should I use for an airbox - or just pick up a used factory one? thanks.

Russ @typ4 may have OEM airboxes for sale, and sometimes they come up on ebay and CL too. I ordered the Banks down pipe (Summit Racing) for the OEM Ford kit I have, which has the band clamp attachment. If you have the ATS 093 kit, you will probably need to have an exhaust shop make up a down pipe for you since the down pipe fits into the exhaust elbow of the turbo rather than clamping.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-52103/applications

You can also have Justin at R&D rework the turbo elbow so it will accept the PS down pipe.

http://www.idiperformance.com/store/p36/93/94_Factory_Turbo_IDIT_3"_Downpipe_upgrade.html

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sell a 3” bolt on downpipe for that turbo setup, and have an intake kit as well.

I had a good amount of the stock intakes but I sold the last one I had to Russ a while ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online