Turbo Whistle

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So, today as I'm driving down the streets I have my windows rolled down and I hear this differant turbo whistle. So I continue to drive listening to it wondering whats changed. Is something coming apart or what. Then it hits me like a bad dream. Its the new 4 inch straight piped exhaust I had installed yesterday. I've always had what I felt was a really handsome whistle but now its just great. Its by no means a big rig sound but its close. I found the "sweet spot" where it sounds the best. Sure like the new sound too...:D

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Isn't it great to not find a problem. Glad you're enjoying your truck so much.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I didnt even know your truck was running after you burned it down.
Thats GREAT!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure nuff Nebraska... I've got 2300 miles on it... I do have one oil leak.... Its the plug in the rear oil cooler header thats faces the block. I can't get a 1/2 inch drive anything in it to tighten it up. I didn't play with this either. I bought it new and ran it 5200 miles on the other motor till it burned down... Now it decides to leak. Its not driping on the ground. It just drips onto the oil filter and then the wind blows it back to the drivers side exhaust crossover to the turbo. Burns off and nothing more. Its really just one of those things that isn't perfect and I'm thinking about fixing it down the road. Probably when I pull the motor to reinstall new freeze plugs better than the last set that I tested with 35 lbs of air pressure and found no leaks... Now a couple are weaping such a small amount that it wont even drip off the pan rail befor evaporating. Just something I need to attend to "down the road" sometime... But for now I'm just rolling up the miles and enjoying the sounds of the road...:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ahhh, isnt it just the best sound you've ever heard :D . I have to always drive with at least my rear sliding window open, with that down you get the best whistle sound compared to having the door glass down.

Finnd yourself a tunnel or something along those lines (theres a cliff wall I have to run by for a good 1/2 mile to get to town, you drive about 4 feet away from it so the whistle reflects off of it back to you), and take it through there with all the windows down, you will have a big ol' smile on your face doing it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats so cool!
My low mile 83 started burning oil like crazy today when I got home it was just rolling out the tail pipe. I wonder if I cracked a dry valve stem seal, because it literally sat for 15+ years without even turning over. It ran perfect when I bought it, but now its starting to develop air leaks in the fuel system with the original return lines and all that good stuff, and now its doing this oil burning crap.
Not so sure if a 85,000 mile IDI truck was such a great purchase for $1000 now. Those 15 years must have been ******* it. Poor thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online