Turbo talk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you run an intercooler it will help catch the debris from a blown up turbo, not all but it does help

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
What exactly blows up in a turbo? Will the compressor wheel actually detonate even if you have good lubrication?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen some turbo setups on a few scrap yard psd from '94 to 97 if I get them further down the line can I use those is tested good on a n/a that's stock 7.3 without issue n I'll check n see if they say banks n take pictures of what they look like.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's been done, but not an easy bolt on.
Honestly you will need the smaller exhaust housing also, otherwise it will be slightly laggy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ISPKI

Reaction score
Yeah last i heard, the PSD turbo is a little too large for an IDI, not sure why they are so big, maybe because a PSD has a much lower compression ratio so it can handle much higher boost? Plus its not indirect injection so its going to be alot more forgiving with regards to forced induction

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ISPK, Here's how I make sense of it.

Lower static compression means a larger effective volume in the combustion chamber at TDC (for the same displacement of engine). The dynamic compression ratio can then be brought back up using forced induction, resulting in more total CFM per ignition event. More CFM potential to effectively burn more fuel and make more power. And all of that is happening with less stress on the head bolts than if the static compression was already high.

Direct injected diesels can effectively burn fuel at 16-18:1 compression, while IDI's have hard start and emission problems. Retrofitting of multi-port DI style injector nozzles and upping the injection pressure *might* reduce these problems slightly but I don't know if this has been tried yet, so who knows. If I ever build another 6.9, I'd be tempted to try it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hotside is huge, too big for the psd even. But there’s plenty of tighter hot sides you can buy

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Stock on a OBS is 1.10, I have a 1.0 on mine. You can go down to a .84, Iirc. Which is what the superduties have. But the SD is wastegated running a different exducer. Inducer is different as well, but swappable between the two.
We had a member than ran one remote. "Hyde" was his name, Iirc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ISPKI

Reaction score
David, sounds about right.

The 7.3idi would pump more air in the range before the PSD spools due to the higher compression (same volume, more compression will yield more volume and higher velocity exhaust exiting the ports into the exhaust piping. This should cause the idi to be able to spool a larger turbo faster than a PSD, however, the IDI design limits the head's ability to handle more compression and the heads are more vulnerable to the heat and pressures since the combustion partially occurs in the head rather than in the block. Thats how ive been wrapping my "head" around it anyways.

Still havent received the Banks boost gauge and pyrometer that i bought for 50$ from a partout. I may need a new probe, the seller doesnt think i will be able to get it out of the manifold that its in. Any recommendations for that?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking at Borg Warner turbos, specifically the S300 and S200 series. I had never thought about going with a Borg Warner but they seem very reasonably priced compared to new Holset, garrets, banks, etc. I have found prices as low as 550$ depending on features.

I am having a hard time finding CFM values for a lot of their models though. An S362SX has 62 inducer, 83 exducer, and can have anywhere from .91a/r to 1.1 a/r.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to point out that I was /really/ impressed with a S360 and .63 exhaust housing.
Everyone's going to say that it's "too tight" or something, but man does that combination put out boost on a 7.3. I hit 25 without trouble, enough to make keeping boots on the plumbing more of a problem.
I really think that that turbo would be perfect for a 110CC or 150CC pump, though you might want to get an external wastegate for it(for better efficiency). The boost will more than clear up a 110, and I haven't tried the 150 yet... that's the goal for my future high-HP build.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.63 housings piqued my interest after reviewing your youtube videos. They seek to be pretty common among the generic listings out there too.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.63 housings piqued my interest after reviewing your youtube videos. They seek to be pretty common among the generic listings out there too.
In my case, I could *not* get a .83 housing to spool; it was sluggish and maxed out at about 10 psi with my setup. .63 gave me a snappy 25.
I had to buy the .63 separately, but I didn't buy my S360 new either - it was bought off a FTE member that hadn't used it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case, I could *not* get a .83 housing to spool; it was sluggish and maxed out at about 10 psi with my setup. .63 gave me a snappy 25.
I had to buy the .63 separately, but I didn't buy my S360 new either - it was bought off a FTE member that hadn't used it.

I believe it. Sounds a little like what happened to me with my 60-1 upgrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin