Turbo rebuild kits, where 2 buy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad is rebuilding a turbo? I have an ATS I haven't installed. I want to rebuild it before installing it. You just order the kit, pull it apart, look if over for any damage, and then put it back together keeping everything clocked the way it was originally?

What is a good way to clean up the turbo? Any special tools needed?

Thanks
Jeremy

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How bad is rebuilding a turbo? I have an ATS I haven't installed. I want to rebuild it before installing it. You just order the kit, pull it apart, look if over for any damage, and then put it back together keeping everything clocked the way it was originally?

What is a good way to clean up the turbo? Any special tools needed?

Thanks
Jeremy

I asked that same question, and the response I got was more than likely I shouldnt do it. The tolerances in a turbo are super tight, so its best left to a profetional.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only hard part is taking it apart, the bolts have been heated and cooled a lot, take apart very carefully, remove retainer clips and install new brass bushings, done.

That being said:

Inspect the turbine shaft for wear, if scared or has turned a blueish color it needs to be replaced also. Be very carefull removing the retainer nut on the impeller shaft. The blades will cut you quickly and damage to the blades can happen if care is not taken.

Take your time, don't force anything, there is nothing much to a turbo.

If it has no damage and worked ok before and you want to simply refresh it all there is inside are two brass bushings with oil holes is them. I did mine 20,000 miles ago.

Use PB Blaster on the bolts the day before to help loosen them, I had to use just a touch of heat to remove one bolt.

The ATS web site has a breakdown of the turbo.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timthetoolman,

What did you do to clean it? Carb cleaner? I bought this turbo used & have never installed it. I don't know how it was working before I bought it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use carb cleaner on any of it, just don't mess up the shaft, it is a harden polished steel. Put a little lube on the shaft after you have it out and slide the new bearings on to make sure they are not too tight.

Lube the bearings with white grease when reinstalling, a little grease on the O-rings also. After I was done I poured a little motor oil down the oil passage, don't spin it much until it is in the truck and has oil pressure, simply rotate it to make sure it don't rub anything.

I had mine laying around for a year afraid to touch it, got bored one saturday and took it apart, thinking this is it???? Too easy. Be carefull with the E-clips they are the hardest thing to put back in, I replaced the inner clips, like to never got them back in, the outer clips are all that needs to be removed to change the bearings. ( the bearings have two snap rings holding them in place, just remove the outer one to replace the bearing)

Call J&H Diesel and they can get the parts for you in a couple of days.

Copy the turbo breakdown sheet off ATS web site it gives a nice how to place which part where view.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.