Turbo intake ideas

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I want to do a cold air intake for my factory turbo idi. The ones I've seen on here are nice but most required moving the fuel filter. Today while I was in autozone I saw the do it yourself intake kits for ricers and bought a few parts to see how they would fit up on my turbo. I bought a 90 degree elbow and coupler and they fit perfect. The only thing I dont like is that the elbow is abs plastic and I have no idea on the temp rating of the coupler. I attached a link for the elbow I bought and was wondering if anyone know where to get the same type of elbow, but in steel. A regular 3" exhaust elbow wont fit because there is a fuel line from the filter that sticks out.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I would think that you could run it over toward the drivers side, thats how mine is done, but it is na. but anything you can do to get colder denser air to the turbo is good, everything is pretty much going to have to be pieced together

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres what I came up with at lunch today. The elbows are abs plastic but the straight section is steel. You can see how it will mount to the turbo and will go over the engine to the drivers side where I will put a filter of some sort(autozone has the k&n type, but I hear those are bad for turbos). I think it looks good but I guess I'm just worried about the plastic cracking from the heating and cooling of the engine. I also want to do a RDT so I dont have to deal with any more oil in the intake.

Attachments

• DSCI1032.jpg
    DSCI1032.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCI1033.jpg
    DSCI1033.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 14

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a cold air intake, your current set-up fits that bill. If you want an open element that is sucking hot under hood air, mount a filter on the end of that pipe and run it. The stock housing isn't that bad, just put smooth bore tubing from the housing to the core support and make the hole match your tubing size. This would give you smooth air flow and give you cool air from the grill area.
Travis..

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would like to do is find a way to make another air box over on the passenger side. There is plenty of room and if the fuel filter got relocated then it would be easy. I hate having that stock airbox on top of the motor its in the way big time.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would like to do is find a way to make another air box over on the passenger side. There is plenty of room and if the fuel filter got relocated then it would be easy. I hate having that stock airbox on top of the motor its in the way big time.

Exactly. The main reason for me doing this is to be able to access the engine better. Also no auto parts store ever has the right air filter for a turbo idi. I think a cleanable filter or a more common type would be better.
I'm thinking of piping the intake over to where the drivers side battery is and possbily relocating that battery to the passenger side.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
relocating the battery is a cinch. both of mine are on the passenger side because i did this when i installed my turbo. but the best thing to do would be get a heater scoop type thing and install it right next to the radiator and then put an open element filter right behind that scoop. of course you have to find a way to mount it but that shouldnt be hard.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest, Put a hole in that L fender and make a cool snorkel that goes from the stock filter box through the fender and along the fender and up the A pillar with a decent KN or other reusable filter on the top of the snorkel? Heck even turn it forward to get a ram air effect like the big trucks! Or remove the stock filter box and just go from turbo through fender up A pillar and add filter?

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe from Banks itself, but I think your in the same boat as the rest of us, either keep it factory or make your own.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I've been running one of those ABS plastic chrome elbows right on the intake flange of my turbo for a year now with no issues. I haven't finished my intake yet, but it's functional for now and delivers clean air to the turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin