Turbo info

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, this is for everyone who does there own work as well as some who have shops do it, leave the teflon tape in the house plumbing box!!!!!!!!!!!-cuss

One of the turbos I am repairing was ruined, read catastrophic failure, due to threads of tape getting in the bushing oil hole.
Teflon tape has no place on our trucks, there is much better sealers for PIPE threads.
Said turbo even had it on the jic fitting for the oil line.

Also, for those who dont have the special tools, dont take your turbo apart before sending it to me, when there is scars on the comp wheel it HAS to be rebalanced. I wont absorb that cost.
Thanks
russ

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
permatex ultra copper.. Permatex avaiation cement. Loctite thread sealant designed for oil lines and such... Teflon tape is magic tape... But used where its designed to be used. Never apply it to any kind of compression fitting ring. It just will not seal anything like that. I have seen it applied to a 2 inch pipe union on the ring half... First off it wont stay in place and secondly there is no way it wil seal the compression fitting area

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend for sealing threads?

Pipe dope I'm guessing.

Nothing wrong with tape as long too much isn't used.
People that use too much silicon drive me nuts. If it oozes outside of the valve cover or oil pan, then it's oozing on the inside as well. When it finally breaks off, it'll clog the oil pickup oil screen.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
In all reality teflon tape is not a sealant but rather a thread lubricant so you do not gall things up while you get it tight. know that completely goes against most peoples ideas but it is the truth

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Teflon tape is great when used correctly and in the correct ways. IE brass fittings...they can split with teflon tape applied. x2 on it being a lubricator....but it is also a sealer. hence the reason they use both Teflone tape and PTFE dope when doing gas lines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you need more than 1 1/4 lap of teflon tape to seal the threads you have a bad thread. And yes... Very true about it being a thread lube too. A pipe thread is a compression thread cut on a taper. A machine thread is cut staright. Pipe threads are able to be cut on a taper or staright threads. The taper is for fluids where the straight cut threads are for electrical condiut. I found out the hard way the fitting on the E4OD atf return is a 1/2x14 straight cut pipe thread. I had to drill and tap out my BTS trans because it was sent to me with the wrong line fitting. They sent a 5/16 line fitting....:mad: So I bought a 23/32 drillbit and a 1/2x14 straight pipe thread tap.... $53.00 later I was done with the deal. I filled the hole in the case with heavy grease and drilled in. cleaned out the hole and filled again and tapped the threads. cleaned out again and all was fine... Nothing got past the grease blockage... That would have ruined the rear bushing in the trans....:angel:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use permatex aviation seal or teflon liquid, or loctite 518, I will not use tape on ANY automotive app.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Thats some good stuff. I've had permatex pipe and joint compound leak oil on occassion. Not the teflon sealing compound.;Sweet

Heath

Yes, that it is...Now, the people that have discovered using it need to learn that it's like Loctite or NevrSeize...a little goes a LONG way.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Hoping it wasn't my turbo!!! lol

I never installed anything on it, but didn't pay that close of attention to the fittings and such either. I also didn't attempt to take it apart, I'll leave that to the resident turbo expert, thus the shipping it to him.

I've never had the one I sent installed, I bought it used and found it was not as it needed to be. Didn't spin freely.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Return Line T's

Russ, here are the return line T's I need.

Attachments

• IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4217.JPG
    IMG_4217.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4218.JPG
    IMG_4218.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 5

monkeyboi

Reaction score
Throw it out of the toolbox too! I do appliance repair and see plenty of plugged water valves and fittings plugged do to the stuff. Now I only use potable water approved sealant. No tape never!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Throw it out of the toolbox too! I do appliance repair and see plenty of plugged water valves and fittings plugged do to the stuff. Now I only use potable water approved sealant. No tape never!

That's what happens when you let a plumber's helper work on everything that uses PTFE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online