Turbo heat shield?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pricey.I used this one on both my trucks:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-GT28-GT25-Turbo-Heat-Shield-Blanket-Fiber-Glass-Black-/180691974702

40-jpg.48628

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is only a year old, the turbo's love heat so wrapping the system helps,(its a pita to do installed and sux off the truck) a plus is the radiant heat kept off the firewall.
Fwiw
Ymmv

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is only a year old, the turbo's love heat so wrapping the system helps,(its a pita to do installed and sux off the truck) a plus is the radiant heat kept off the firewall.
Fwiw
Ymmv

Thanks, yeah, keeping the underhood Temps down while helping with turbo performance is a plus.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! How long have you been running them? Are they holding up? What's the general consensus on wrapping the downpipe and crossover?

A few years.I've never closely inspected them to see if they're holding up.They look the same still from the outsides lol.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years.I've never closely inspected them to see if they're holding up.They look the same still from the outsides lol.

Thanks!
Do you have heat wrap on the crossover and/or the up pipe? What about the downpipe? Do you think that it's worth it in regards to performance and under hood temperature reduction?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite SF7900 under any wrap does wonders

I sand blast and coat all my headers with it, even if they aren't wrapped, with those I just hit them with an exhaust paint over top because when you get it thick it likes to flake if you smack it
It's a lot cheaper than buying them ceramic coated, and good luck finding ceramic coated manifolds for these trucks LOL

Edit: just an FYI, I don't use an oven for any coating cure on exhaust, I bolt it on uncured, idle 10, let cool, idle 20, let cool, and go for a half hour drive

That's the first I've heard of the sf7900, thanks. I don't have access to a blast cabnet, do you think it would stick with out roughing up on new parts? I'm getting that you're using it like a high heat anti-rust coating under header paint. Is that about right?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Do you have heat wrap on the crossover and/or the up pipe? What about the downpipe? Do you think that it's worth it in regards to performance and under hood temperature reduction?

52-jpg.48650

55-jpg.48653

57-jpg.48655

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ratt-N-Roll.:D

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
That's the first I've heard of the sf7900, thanks. I don't have access to a blast cabnet, do you think it would stick with out roughing up on new parts? I'm getting that you're using it like a high heat anti-rust coating under header paint. Is that about right?

I don't know on the non-prep part as far as how long it would last, will it stick? Probably, but I don't know how well, I'd make sure to degrease them well first with acetone/brake cleaner.

Sort of, it makes a thin ceramic layer when you spray it on that cures from heat, so it essentially turns a basic header into a poor-man's ceramic coated header (NOT the same process they use, it does not adhere the same).

It's used a lot in production welding for robotic nozzles and tips, it will keep them (or jigs/parts) spatter-free for 8 hours of non-stop burning, so I figured I'd try it on an exhaust once, done it ever since (but I'm too cheap to pay someone to coat parts like Clb does LOL).

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know on the non-prep part as far as how long it would last, will it stick? Probably, but I don't know how well, I'd make sure to degrease them well first with acetone/brake cleaner.

Sort of, it makes a thin ceramic layer when you spray it on that cures from heat, so it essentially turns a basic header into a poor-man's ceramic coated header (NOT the same process they use, it does not adhere the same).

It's used a lot in production welding for robotic nozzles and tips, it will keep them (or jigs/parts) spatter-free for 8 hours of non-stop burning, so I figured I'd try it on an exhaust once, done it ever since (but I'm too cheap to pay someone to coat parts like Clb does LOL).

Thanks, so it really seems to help Temps and rust mitigation?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online