Supporting Member
Reaction score
52-jpg.48650

55-jpg.48653

57-jpg.48655

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ratt-N-Roll.:D

I couldn't tell, did you wrap the up pipe as well?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks, so it really seems to help Temps and rust mitigation?

I dunno because I installed both kits the same way,on both trucks,with no before wrap tests.They both went in,fully wrapped.

I can tell though,the guys who claim wrapping them,cause rust issues,seem to be correct.Under the wrap on chip truck,which has had the turbo kit,the longest,it sure doesn't look pretty lol.
I just figured,I would replace the pipes (probably wrapped again) when they rust out.

The up pipe/turbo pedestal,of course isn't going to rust out by wrapping it,as it's cast.

EDIT:
Just looked at my records.I installed the banks turbo kit on chip truck,my F250 in March of 2012.Pipes haven't rusted through yet.

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.

I dunno because I installed both kits the same way,on both trucks,with no before wrap tests.They both went in,fully wrapped.

I can tell though,the guys who claim wrapping them,cause rust issues,seem to be correct.Under the wrap on chip truck,which has had the turbo kit,the longest,it sure doesn't look pretty lol.
I just figured,I would replace the pipes (probably wrapped again) when they rust out.

The up pipe/turbo pedestal,of course isn't going to rust out by wrapping it,as it's cast.

EDIT:
Just looked at my records.I installed the banks turbo kit on chip truck,my F250 in March of 2012.Pipes haven't rusted through yet.

Thanks again.
If you remember, how much wrap did you use?
Is that a banks downpipe? If it is, it looks different from the one I have...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEO5QE

It's a banks down pipe,to the best of my knowledge.I didn't buy either turbo kit new but,both used kits came with the same down pipe.It's an odd size pipe,just under 3" diameter.
Banks makes a devoted down pipe for the factory ford (ats) turbo kits too but I don't know what it looks like exactly.If I recall correctly,those had a poorly designed,slip fit.

EDIT: Oh.Well,that's what you have.An 093 ATS lol.You can see I'm paying attention.:D

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the wrap/rust thing since I finally got a turbo kit for my van. It looks like there are a couple different types of wraps.

It looks like using fiberglass wrap without any protective coating can cause tgings to rust faster. They recommend spraying it with silicone paint afterwards to seal it. With the other type of wrap (called titanium i think) it is made out of a different material so they do not recommend painting it after wrapping. They recommend that you paint the bare exhaust with silicone paint prior to wrapping.

The painting of the bare exhaust prior to wrapping can be done regardless of the type of wrap and would provide an extra layer of protection agiand rust etc.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the wrap kit from amazon that Bill suggested. Should I use header paint on the pipes before I wrap them? Of course the DEI silicone coating is applied post wrap.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is re
I ordered the wrap kit from amazon that Bill suggested. Should I use header paint on the pipes before I wrap them? Of course the DEI silicone coating is applied post wrap.

It is recommended that you coat the exhaust before wrapping it to provide an extra layer of rust protection.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, in the DEI instructions, there's no mention of coating the pipes before wrapping...

There isn't? I did mine.Stuff sure stinks for a few days.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with their titanium wrap. Due to what it is made of they did not recommend spraying it after wrapping the pipes. I contacted customer service and asked about painting the pipes first to prevent rust. They recommended using a wire wheel to clean up all the pipes and then spraying with their silicon paint pruor to wrapping.

I believe there is also a spray on ceramic coating from other companies that may provide a little more protection than the silicon paint pre-wrap.