turbo fitment question

scfdiesel

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any input or suggestions on the three available aftermarket tubos (ie ATS, Hypermax, or banks) for my particular application. I'm doing a diesel conversion (7.3idi) of a 1979 F150 and was wondering considering the likely tight fit of the motor, was there any reason to choose one over the other. I would like a hypermax but was wondering if this would pose a problem with being too close to the firewall with the up and down pipes. It may just be a trial and error situation here but any input is certainly appreciated.

discbrks

Reaction score
I have installed a Banks turbo on my truck, and removed a factory ATS turbo from my '93 parts truck. The ATS kit is much more well engineered kit - if I were to do it over, I think I'd go with the factory ATS for that reason.

But fitment on a '79 will probably be trial & error - like you said.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitment is an issue even on trucks they were designed to fit. LOL

Best bet will be to install the motor, at least as a test, and check your dimensions, and see what style has the best clearances. Hypermax and Banks are probably going to be about the same clearance wise. ATS may be the best bet depending.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
IIRC Tim aka IDIeselman was looking into putting one on the 79 he had but given the quality of work he had done at restoring the truck, opted against it due to clearance issues.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a used old Banks kit for my Bronco (non wastgated) I did not see how the down pipe would ever fit after I got the kit home. So I gave it a 2" body lift and there looks to be lots of room now. I will post some pics after I insall it. If your truck still has the factory body mounts they should be changed any way. Go with a after market polyurathane bushing.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I got a used old Banks kit for my Bronco (non wastgated) I did not see how the down pipe would ever fit after I got the kit home. So I gave it a 2" body lift and there looks to be lots of room now. I will post some pics after I insall it. If your truck still has the factory body mounts they should be changed any way. Go with a after market polyurathane bushing.
just what i would say 2" body lift no more no less!

RedTruck

Reaction score
For you guys trying to fit turbos in different applications, I've often thought that going with an oval pipe would be the way to go for the down pipe. For most of our applications the downpipe is the bottle neck even when it fits. Going with an oval pipe you could use a much larger pipe possibly eliminating the need for a body lift. You could even paint the pipe blue and say you've really got a blue oval under the hood LOL

It may be expensive, but it could solve a lot of problems and headaches.

Burns Stainless

Paul

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw one guy with a 67-73 ford bodystyle that ended up cutting the firewall to route the turbo plumbing. Basically added a tinnel on the firewall similar to what smaller cars have in the centerline of the floor. Worked well, but took some dooing.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
just last week on ebay there was a 1 ton 1946 ford truck, with a 6.9 idi with a non gated banks turbo on it, now that thing was tight:eek: i posted a link in one of the past threads from a few days ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online