Turbo charged 7.3L IDI

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a mechanically injected 7.3L. I would buy the turbo and intercooler off of a powerstroke adn run them on the engine. I can get any motor in my local wrecking yard for $280. Banks has this motor putting out 260 hp at 2700 or 3000 rpm and 505 ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm adn the newer 7.3L PSD puts out 680 ft/lbs of toruqe adn 305 hp because of injector cycle and direct injection compared to the inneffiency of indirect injection on these engines to reduce noise.

I think that I prefer this motor because I do not want to mess with buying computer chips to alter my injector timing but the electro hydraulic pumps may be more effecient. I will run free flowing dual exaust.

Did IH ever put direct injectionon in these mechanically timed injection systems?

I am running a 1967 Ih scout offroad and dialy driver. I cruise 65 mph on the highway and occassionally 70 and 80 to pass. I would like to get atleast 15 mpg. I would like to see 550 ft.lbs of torque and 270 hp- or more.

thanks...

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Putting that turbo on their will be sweet, but you will have to adjust the wastegate down to about 13-15 psi. For that turbo I would recommend getting headstuds from DPS. Also, you will be doing a lot of custom fabrication to fit that turbo onto your engine. The upside is that you will have all the plumbing.

More air is only useful to an extent. You will need to add more fuel with that turbo. Get some Stage 1 DPS Injectors and their performance Injector Pump. Many people have had great success with these.

BUT before you do all this craziness (that we all would love to see because its rarely been done) you absolutely MUST get a pyrometer and boost guage. A water temperature guage is reccomended as well. If you have an auto tranny, then a trans temp guage is strongly advised.

Good luck ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just remember that the 94.5-97 power strokes do not have a waste gate.

Huntersbo

Reaction score
Are you sugesting that the IDI can make as much torque as the PSD direct injection? I will check that injection system out. I see that monotering the boost and exasut temperatures are very important. Did IH ever put direct injection on these mechanicallay injection heads?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
Was the '93-'94 7.3L a factroy turbo with mechanical injection?
I believe you could get it either way in 93 and 94, N/A or turbo'd.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All idi motors were mechanically injected. None were ever direct injected. The turbo idi motor can make plenty of hp and torque but it will never be a turbo direct injected motor with the hp and torque. The turbo idi was only made from about 93 1/2 year thru the 94 1/2 year, then the psd came on the show. The psd was only about 25 hp more than the turbo idi because the down pipe was flsttened out to restrict the idi hp output. That way the psd was made to look and run better than the turbo idi. If you really want idi hp and torque at the cheapest cost and time to build get the turbo idi motor and change out the turbo to the upgrades out there on the open market and install an intercooler. If thats not enough hp try propane or water- methonal injection. Now if thats still not enough hp add nitrous. That will really run hard and fast. The turbo idi has a Garret turbo charger and can really be upgraded for plenty of hp. Its all just bolt on instead of trying to fabricate a psd turbo to these motors.

Huntersbo

Reaction score
That sounds good, I do not like the idea of spending hundereds of dollars on tune up if I do not have to and that is what I think of these chips, and you have to have a chip of a programmer to tune EFI I think. The banks IDI made 505 ft/lbs of torque and 260 hp with out turning up the fuel! That means that I could be potentially at stock powerstorke levels after I would do that. 280 hp or so I think. That sounds great considering the quickest vehicle I have had is my daily driver; 1982 F-150 351W with 330 tq at 2200 rpm and 185 hp at 3000 rpm!

I will be looking a factory turno IDIs.

thanks a lot.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
The psd was only about 25 hp more than the turbo idi because the down pipe was flsttened out to restrict the idi hp output. That way the psd was made to look and run better than the turbo idi.

Hate to break it to you but the PSD downpipe was flat as a pancake also, it was/is firewall space issue on the OBS trucks. There was a 25 hp difference between the two models, but it wasnt due to the down pipe.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These engines never had direct injection because they wouldn't meet the EPA restrictions in place at the time, which would be liberal by todays standards. It took computerization to be able to modulate the injection to the point where direct injection became feasible.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
The banks IDI made 505 ft/lbs of torque and 260 hp with out turning up the fuel! That means that I could be potentially at stock powerstorke levels after I would do that. 280 hp or so I think.

I think it's pretty well accepted around here, that the Banks claims are pretty overly optimistic.
(I'm not flat out calling their claims BS, but...)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your scout's daily driver and you want fuel econonomy I stongly suggest you get an overdrive transmission in that combo as well as proper gearing for your tire size.

For the sake of simplicity and to get it back on the road asap if it's a daily driver I would get the engine, transmission and transfercase bolted up first and add the turbo, stage one pump & injectors etc...later as desired. The scout weighs less than these 6000 - 8000 lb ford trucks and you will probably be suprised at the performance you get out of it if properly geared while still naturally aspirated in a lighter vehicle.

BTW if you get it up to 500 ft lbs of torque the first thing you'll probably break is the stock front axle if it's a Dana 30 or 44.

A 7.3 liter non turbo IDI should be fine in a Scout as alot of people put the cummins 3.9 liter 4BT and 4BTA engines in them successfully.

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I still think that I like the 7.3L but this cummins 4bt is intersesting? Is it a 4 cylinder capible of torque?

I would prefer to add free flowing exaust and get it to be a solid runner first. If if came with a turbo great and if it did not I could wait until later. I could run 3.08 gears instead of 3.96s if there is too low of gearing. If I do not really need the mild injection then I might not ues it.

What is the dana 44 good for 8000 ft/lbs of torque at the axils? I will be running a ford 9" rear. What should my cruise rpm be 1500 rpm at 70 mph?

One other question; at high altitude like 7000 feet elevation is it better to lean out the pump or to back off on the waste gate for more boost?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think that I like the 7.3L but this cummins 4bt is intersesting? Is it a 4 cylinder capible of torque?

Yes they are. They were used in bread trucks etc...They put out about the same HP and torque numbers as a stock N/A IDI and can be juiced up too. A 4BT conversion will cost you on average about $5k - $15k depending on if you're buying new or used. A typical bread truck frame cutoff with engine trans radiator etc usually runs about $3500 and then theres all the misc stuff you need to do that adds up fast. It's a very popular swap in Jeeps, Scouts and old military vehicles which keeps the prices up.

They are basicly the same as the 5.9 Cummins Dodge uses minus 2 cylinders. I have been in two 1950s Dodge military M37 3/4 ton trucks that have this Cummins 4BT with spicer 5 speeds and they scoot those 6000 lb trucks down the road nicely with 4.89 gears and 35 inch tires

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online