Turbo charged 7.3L IDI

Huntersbo

Reaction score
My dad has a powerstroke with direct injection and he loves it but I do not love the electronics. I really like mechanical adjustments. I am investigating the benefits of direct injection over indirect injection. So far I see none. I found briefly described an IH 633-T Diesel. I do not know about it but I will investigate furgher.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
I found briefly described an IH 633-T Diesel.
I'm pretty sure that that was the engine that was in my Scout. It's not an IH engine, though...it's actually a Nissan forklift engine that IH adapted to use in the Scout in 1976. I've seen it described as a "6-33T" or "SD-33T" (Nissan's designation for the engine). It's a 3.2l inline-6 IDI diesel, available in naturally aspirated ('76-'79) or turbocharged ('80) form. The turbo engine only puts out 101 horsepower :shocked:

Since you're converting from g@$ to a real engine ;) I would suggest sticking with the 6.9l or 7.3l IDI, unless you decide to try the 4BT Cummins (which is mechanically injected but is also direct-injected)...

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I am mildly familliar with the Nissian SD33 t. I will stick with the IH IDI. I will just boost it up slowly so I do not break my front end. I think that the ford 9" can live- not sure about the dana 44 with 3.08 gears. I found a forum called DPS performance- there was a guy named Ken who was said to the distributer of these high output pumps but I found no contact info or details.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
I am mildly familliar with the Nissian SD33 t. I will stick with the IH IDI. I will just boost it up slowly so I do not break my front end. I think that the ford 9" can live- not sure about the dana 44 with 3.08 gears. I found a forum called DPS performance- there was a guy named Ken who was said to the distributer of these high output pumps but I found no contact info or details.

Don't rush your project. Most of the research your talking about has already been done by folks on this site. Just sit back, relax, enjoy, and read everything you can on this forum for a couple months. You'll learn who the contacts for parts and information are, such as Ken at DPS. Stick with us and the members of this site will give you all the education you need to complete your project and then some. :hail

Tom

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I won't have my concrete for at least two months. We are getting a pool put in in about 3 weeks and toward the end of the project we will go did out some forms and get a pump truck out to pour the concrete. Then the wrenching will begin. 3.5 years of prep have gone into this; the longer the more I will know. I was going to put in a nasty small bock frod that would get 4 miles per gallon spend 90% of my budget $2500 on in then I learned that RPM just burn more fuel when I could hold speed up a grade and accellerate quicker better at 140 hp 2400 rpm in the truck with a 351W then in a Bronco 2.9L at 140 hp 4000-5500 rpm. Torque is King!

Interesting- last night I held 45 mph up a a grade in 4th gear at 2200 rpm resting my foot on the pedal (in a '98 Kia 4x4 with feul injected inline 4) I do not know why the Bronco could not do this with the 177 cid v6 flooring it often and not speeding.

That is why I am doing this project; I want a tough 4x4 that I can hold speed up a grade without flooring it, turbo later for 7000' elevation, haul loads or pull a trailer (rarely do but options), and I would not mind getting 16 mpg either but I can live with 14 (usually got 7).

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see,i told you these guys would fill you with more info than you can handle ;Sweet .

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
That sounds good, I do not like the idea of spending hundereds of dollars on tune up if I do not have to and that is what I think of these chips, and you have to have a chip of a programmer to tune EFI I think. QUOTE]

get a power stroke with stage 2 injectors and a chip with a nasty program from tony wildman and you will be happier than a pig in a mudhole.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
Interesting- last night I held 45 mph up a a grade in 4th gear at 2200 rpm resting my foot on the pedal (in a '98 Kia 4x4 with feul injected inline 4) I do not know why the Bronco could not do this with the 177 cid v6 flooring it often and not speeding.
you're not talking about int 15 between Escondido and san diego are you? if so, its already having the Kia at freeway speeds is what makes it feel like its ballsy. try the same hill from a dead stop in the emergency turnout and then give it a run.
back to the scout....
when you mentioned 392 v-8 I presume you are talking about a scout 2. the orig scouts had to lose half of the "V" of the 345 in order for the motor to fit. dimensionally, the 392 and the 6.9/7.3 is very close. there's a guy running a 1210 4wd pickup with a IDI in the sillycon valley here. haven't got a chance to snap a couple of pics but he said that there wasn't a whole lot of trouble doing the graft. he did use the later engine, trans, and trasfer case though. It's a do-able project, the firewall intrusion on the IH trucks is far less than the fords so your downpipe for the turbo is not as much of a pain. good luck!;Sweet

Huntersbo

Reaction score
Ha Ha- actually to feal ballsy I would want to pull 70 or 80 up at 28 degree grade, but the vehicles I have driven have not been quite ther, I almost blew my 2.9L up pulling 55 up hwy 67 grade raw hiding at 5500 rpm and could not go faster in higher gear. 130 miles on 18 gallons ( mabe worst sometimes)

The Kia story took place in Viejas Indian reservation in the mountians about 20 miles west or so of the desert and that big wall of mountins that comes out of no where just before the pacific ocean and north of mexico.

Is 60-70 mph up a medium grade empty resting my foot on the gas a reasonable goal?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
when you mentioned 392 v-8 I presume you are talking about a scout 2. the orig scouts had to lose half of the "V" of the 345 in order for the motor to fit.
FYI, there were two iterations of the "original" Scout. The Scout 80 (built from '61 to '65) certainly couldn't fit a V8 in the engine compartment...they used the 152 ci 4-banger. But, the Scout 800 (built from '65 up until the Scout II introduction in '71) could hold a V8 (although the biggest V8 they put in there was the 304, but the 345/392 was the same block). IIRC they started putting 266 ci V8's in in '67 and the 304 in '69.

I think that you can cut some sheet metal out of the engine compartment to shoehorn a V8 in to a Scout 80, but I'm not sure...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
need another project?:D
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

If I had the space, I would be tempted...them lil' Cornbinders are fun toys! :D As it is, my truck's going to spending at least a few weeks parked on the street at a friend's house...

Once this move's over, if yo're not too busy, I've got some stuff that needs to get to you...I'll give you a call when time allows (like THAT's going to be any time soon LOL ) In case you couldn't tell, I'm sick of moving!! -cuss -cuss -cuss

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I may throw mine out if I found a better rig and the price was right.
Here is mine

IMG_2742
IMG_2741
IMG_2746
IMG_2747
IMG_2748
IMG_2756
IMG_2757
IMG_2758
IMG_2776

nasty windsor smogger!
IMG_2762