Turbo charged 7.3L IDI

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks numbers may be inflated. Argve had the Banks Sidewinder system and the 7.3 IH IDI. He made 387-388 lbs-ft of torque at the wheels, and 201HP. It would have been more at the crank, but I doubt 270 HP, maybe...you lose a lot through that E40D. As far as your cruising s RPM, what gear ratio do you have? 9" Ford could come witha lot of ratios. Also what transmission do you have? For the IH scout, I think you'll need to dump the Ford adapter plate and the motor should bolt directly up to an SAE#3 bellhousing, but I may be off base here. If you want more info about gear ratio and RPM, look at randy's ring and pinion calculator here www.ring-pinion.com this will give you at least an idea. As for teh PSD, as icanfixall said, you'd have a much easier time with a Banks or Hypermax or ATS unit which is a bolt on affair, but the Hypermax starts at 1450 and up, the ATS around 2000 and the Banks around 2700. There was a user by the name of Woodie, I don't remember if he has an account hear or only over at the Diesel Stop, but he fabricated a PSD turbo to the IDI and was very happy with the results. His boost numbers were sustainable with the IDI in stockish trim. You might want to do some digging over there, or here about his rig. Fuel mileage, in an F-250, you can figure on 10-16mpg with 4.10s, 13-19 with 3.55s, and 20+ with 3.08s, this assumes good fuela nd ideal conditions, light loads. You can add a few MPG with a scout as it is a lighter vehicle. It sounds like a cool project. If you get an IDI motor for this swap, be sure to look it over good, change teh head gaskets and oil cooler orings before it goes in the truck. I'd hate to see you do all that work to not be able to drive it right away. Good luck,
J.D.

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I think that I will go with 3.08:1 so I do not overload the axils with torque adn get better mileage. I will be getting custom made drive shafts for $750 so I would think that they would hold up, along with a NP 205 if if will bold up to the tranny. I would like to tun a T-19 4.02:1 from a 6.9L, are the 6.9 and 7.3 the same bolt pattern? I will look for tha tSAE3 you speek of.

I do not have teh ford 9" now, I have a dana 44 rear and a dana 27 closed knouckle up front, borg warnder T-18 4.32:1 (rusted adn busted innards), dana 20 or 18 that I think is still goood. I have considerd running a dana 60 up front but I thought that the width would be a hinderance on the trail and with the tires spinning open in the air create signifisant drag after 50 mph. So I am shopping fo an engine, tranny, t-case, d-shafts, and axils together. I think that with 3.08 gears the axils would live in the dana 44 but the ring and pinion may not but I have never heard of them breaking.

Last edited:

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but will the front frame of a 1967 Scout handle the weight a torgue of a 7.3L IDI? If I'm not mistaken, 60-65% of the entire vheicle weight in a F250/350 is the motor.

I remember back in the 70's a buddy put a small block Chevy in a Vega for racing. The first time he cranked it up the torque twisted the whole front end enough to break the motor mount and crack the windshield. Luckily the car was for drag racing, so he replaced the original windshield with plexiglas.

sassyrel

Reaction score
me thinks your going to spend a lot of time,money,and headaches--and then not be happy with the results of a 7.3--its heavy--methink tooo heavy for the front of a scout--a bronco like mels--ya--buts its frame is bigger--and stronger

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 1,250lbs, that's a lot of weight for vehicle used to a smaller engine. The Scout is equivalent to a 1/4 ton truck isn't it? So that would be kind of like putting a 7.3IDI in a Ranger. I'm no expert that's for sure, but talking with a Dodge engineer once I asked why diesels weren't available in a 1/2 ton and he told me the frames weren't strong enough. I guess you could reinforce the frame, though.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
There was a small run of bronco's that were available with 6.9's. They were recalled and refunded, then rebuilt with gassers. The only reason was the frame was not strong enough. I have never heard of anyone who has one, but I read a long thread about it on Fullsizedbronco.com...

So whether its true or not... :confused:
That was a bronco too... a ranger or somethin like that would not be able to take the torque or weight of a 6.9/7.3 like Doc said.
That is why a lot of people are using those 4BT Cummins.

Huntersbo

Reaction score
The frame is a box frame, people put in IH gassers 304,345 at 720-760 lbs adn the 392 Ih which is 800 lbs I think. This rig needs reinforcing all over as the floor is rotted out with big wholes in it. I heard the 6.9L weighs 960 lbs; oh that was the Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I really got tired of my gassers needing to go 2500 + rpm to get moveing, I think that the truck I drive 351W puts out mabe 100- 150 hp in normal rpms 1500-2400 rpm, and the bronco 2.9L is more like 20-80 hp.

What about an early bronco? Those do not have box frames as I have seen one with a twsted frame rail. If one were to box in a frame with more crossmembers and such whould the frame get cracks? I would need either more shocks or 4 coils up front to hold the weight too huh?

Huntersbo

Reaction score
this scout wieghed in at 4200 lbs stock with a 500 lbs payload ( 4800 GVRW) I expect to weigh in at 5000 lbs when I drive it.

I might have high standards but I like to have 100 ft/lbs of torque for every 1000 lbs of vehicle. So 400 ft/lbs in a 5000 lbs vehicle is good if I get 17 mpg. I could live with the 380 tq and 200 hp of a turned up with exaust for a while.

Huntersbo

Reaction score
I am going to do some research to see if I can put a powerstroke direct injection head on an old IDI block. I wonder if that would help.

The turbo idi was only made from about 93 1/2 year thru the 94 1/2 year, then the psd came on the show. The psd was only about 25 hp more than the turbo idi because the down pipe was flsttened out to restrict the idi hp output. That way the psd was made to look and run better than the turbo

There was a 25 hp difference between the two models, but it wasnt due to the down pipe.

The 7.3 IDI is still the motor of choice but I will investivate what changes occoured when it became the power stroke( specificially the heads DI and IDI) Now I will see what info I can bring in.

You guys have been a great help!

Last edited:

Huntersbo

Reaction score
1994 saw a complete revamp of the engine line. In the beginning of the 1994 model year, a factory-installed turbocharger was introduced to the 7.3l engine. However, that proved to just be the beginning. Midway through the model year, an engine was designed that shared some aspects of the 7.3l (displacement, similarities in block construction), but had many major differences as well. The precombustion chambers were eliminated, allowing the fuel injector to inject fuel directly on top of the piston. The compression ratio was reduced from 21:1 to 17.5:1 to allow the turbocharger to safely put out more boost. Finally, the fuel system was completely redesigned, eliminating the fuel injector pump in favor of the HEUI system (HEUI, standing for Hydro-Electric Unit Injection, was originally developed by Caterpillar). This system is controlled by a computer unit, taking readings from a sensor that senses the position of the crankshaft, and tells the fuel injectors to fire based on that reading. Fuel pressure, instead of being developed by a high-pressure fuel pump, is developed in the injector itself, driven by engine oil pressure.
This new engine was dubbed the "Powerstroke" by Ford, and was the first diesel engine used in a pickup truck to rely entirely on electronics to run.

1995 and 1996 saw no major changes, and for most trucks, 1997 didn't either. However, a change was made to trucks built to be sold in the state of California in 1997. In an attempt to lower emissions, the ECM was reprogrammed to have each injector inject two shots of fuel in each power stroke, as opposed to the "standard" single-shot injection system that was predominant on all prior engines. This came to be known as the "Split-Shot" system

Here is the source of the information

http://www.thedieselstop.com/archiv...7&page=170&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.htm

Now I will look for the differences between the IDI and DI heads- as in blot patterns, collant passages, injector and glow plug ports-

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the 70's a buddy put a small block Chevy in a Vega for racing. The first time he cranked it up the torque twisted the whole front end enough to break the motor mount and crack the windshield. Luckily the car was for drag racing, so he replaced the original windshield with plexiglas.

I seen something similar on a Vega back in my senior year 1982. A buddy of mine had a hopped up Cosworth Vega with the original 4 banger in it and ripped the entire rear axle from the ruster unibody dumping the clutch at a street light race. We were dieing laughing:rotflmao :rotflmao until the small town cop showed up and everybody scattered leaving him to explain it as his car was in the middle of the intersection with the axle 90 degrees sideways under the car. It was great to be 17 or 18 years old and raising a little hell.

Thanks for the memory

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG!!!

Where on TheDramaStop was THAT?!?

Speaking of shelved/future projects... *sigh* (and, by the way, there is a lot more to that writeup)

BTW, while I think it's mostly accurate, I cannot say with any authority that any of the info on that writeup is 100% true. I don't rememebr how it ended up on STD, but my guess is that it got posted to see if other people on th eboar dcould help confirm the accuracy of the writeup. But, due to time constraints, that's as far as the writeup got...it's by no means finished, and it'll be published on here (among other places) once it is.

And, in case it isn't clear by now ;) I wrote it...

Also...I'm in the middle of a move, so I haven't had time to post here before now...but this sounds like a very cool project!! My first diesel was an '80 Scout II. I actually talked with a guy who knew Scouts inside and out, about dropping an IDI in place...and he was thinking that it wouldn't take much. Since my SII had a T-19 already, it would just need an IDI bellhousing and a hydraulic clutch setup, somewhat stronger front springs (but, the SD-33T that was in there was already pretty heavy), and some engine mount modifications...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huntersbo said:
Quote:
Now I will look for the differences between the IDI and DI heads- as in blot patterns, collant passages, injector and glow plug ports-

There are zero parts interchangeable between the IDI and PS. They are COMPLETELY different engines that happen to share dispacement and bellhousing bolt pattern.

The "improved" 7.3L was a marketing statement, not an engineering one. Not that the PS isn't a superior design (mechanically, not economically), but that it is a clean sheet design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online