turbo 6.9 over heating

The_fabricator

Reaction score
im thinking it has a blowin head gasket but im not 100% sure. Changed the rad and thurmostat but still over heat's and when i pull the rad cap off when its cold and start it up it pushes alot of coolent out. So that's why im thinking head gasket.

Thanks Mike

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike, I had a similar problem with my 6.9. But, mine only puked coolant when pulling the camper, but still very similar. When I pulled it out, this is what I found:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

The gasket failed at the #1 cylinder. Found out why at the machine shop. The deck was warped there.

I hope that isn't your problem as it's not a fun thing to find and repair.:puke:

Heath

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
You could try to re-torque the heads if you need to get by for a bit longer till you replace it...
6.9's need to have heads retorqued at 30,000miles after leaving the factory, then they are good. But most 6.9's out there have never had that done and lo and behold...head gasket issues down the road:puke:

The_fabricator

Reaction score
it starts to over heat and puke out the over flow bottle after about 10 to 15 min of driving upper rad hose and heater core hose's are also very hot and under a lot of pressure

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's puking, you have a cracked head or bad head gasket. You may be able to isolate the head the problem is in by removing all the injectors and glow plugs from one head, and then cranking it to start it while someone watches the coolant for bubbles. Another pair of eyes could watch the open bores to see if coolant is shooting out. Just an idea. It won't run that way, but the cylinders will fire, and you may be able to isolate the head easily.