Trying to diagnose an alarming knock

grizzlyjosh

Reaction score
First off, thank you to everyone who has been helping diagnose and walk me through fixing my truck, its been VERY helpful.
So, I got the heads off and took them to a machine shop to have valves and guides looked over. I haven't heard back yet about what shape they are in, I'm hoping he says the guides are bad so I have a smoking gun.
The only thing that I uncovered while taking everything apart that seems related was 3 or 4 injectors were very gunked into the their holes in the heads, as if they weren't seated properly or something. In fact, I broke one getting it out. I attached a photo of one of the holes. What was causing this and could it have been part of my problem?

You must be registered for see images attach

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

grizzlyjosh

Reaction score
Another quick question: should I pull out the lifters and look at them or is the fact that they all move when the crank turns good enough?
And thanks tbrumm, that was pretty helpful to look though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd say that the cause of the crud around the injectors was from them not sealing. They use a copper washer underneath them to seal off the combustion in the cylinder. If you have the heads off, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull them out to look at them. It's hard to tell if they're good, bad, or just weak from looking. My recent experience with this was after I had a set of Comp 910 valve springs installed. After the engine was back in, it had a miss when I got it running. I could see the rockers all moving without the valve cover off, but one wasn't moving enough. Maybe it was ok while I cranked the engine over with the starter and not while *** was running. The lifters all looked fine. After buying a new set, it now runs smoothly. Since it ran fine before, all I can guess is that one of them had a weak spring in it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Other than the spring inside, I'm not sure. The rollers can go bad, but it happens more with the earlier style that used bushings instead of roller bearings. Since they're roller lifters, they really don't wear much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online