Try this again...

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently my other thread "Help" is having issues so I'll try without pictures. I'm pulling the cork gasket off my oil pan and I'm hoping to get it off without pulling the pan but if I can't quite get it can I pull the pan by dropping the pickup tube or does the oil pump need to come off too? I'm going to pick the engine a few inches this morning and see what I can do.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil pump must be dropped and the oil suction pickup tube is just bolted to the end of the pump and one of the main bearing bolts. Depending on how high you lift the engine you can see the bolts. Please remember that the oil suction line fits down to about 1/8 inch off the bottom of the oil pan deepest part. If you feel this is wrong please drain the oil and stick a screw driver up the drain hole.. Surprise...

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ended up bolting everything back up and letting it leak for now till I can pull the motor or sell the truck.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually did r&r my pan with engine in truck. Haynes manual said it could be done, so thats what I did. I wouldn't do it again but it did happen. Oil pump has to be dropped into pan before pan comes out. I lost several wrenches in pan before tying a string to one.
Hope this helps.