1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trust machine shop and buy new heads or hold out for a second opinion??

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Grant Cdebaca, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Grant Cdebaca

Grant Cdebaca Registered User

The heads I ordered just arrived and there are two considerable blade marks on the mating surface. I can catch my fingernail on them.
    B00D4188-3CFE-4865-A2DF-7BA6E8DC78F2.jpeg 2FF4D6F4-7A44-46A3-B57E-376951F54DE3.jpeg

also some messy lookn crack repairs that are right up against the seats
    481BBA0A-4BC1-4071-8D9D-2644B3BFD93F.jpeg

The precups all have cracks as well. I’m aware that’s often not a problem but just adding that to the overall condition.

Visually, these things are pretty damn suspicious when the company stated that the heads have been rebuilt, pressure checked, resurfaced, and vacuum checked. I know I could find a better machine shop and get them checked out, but I feel like I should just return these and find a pair elsewhere before I waste time/money/beers...tears

Thoughts?

2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

The first thing that I'd do is to get ahold of the place that sold them to you and let them know your concerns. See what they say. Ask about a warranty and see if that gives anything for parts (gaskets, etc.) and your labor. Also volunteer to send them pictures.

Va_Mike likes this.
  3. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

Back in the box and back to the place they came from. When in doubt throw it out.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  4. genscripter

genscripter Full Access Member

The heads I got from Diesel Cast Welding were far superior to that rebuild. I'd be concerned about the cracks. The pre-cup cracks arent' a big deal as long as they are within the firering, but the big crack on the underside of the head probably won't stay small once you torque down the studs.