Truetrak and Elocks Oh My!

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the tittle to the thread was fun. If your old enough to remember the reference.
In the process of laying on the gravel driveway installing the Truetrak into the 94 idiT crewcab dually. I figure it might be a bit more aggressive than I desire, especially climbing a particular road that gains about 1100 feet in elevation over 1.5 miles with 3 switchbacks as it goes up the side of a hill.
Typical climbing speed is about 25 MPH with all the curves.
Time will tell on that one.
Next project might be investigating a selectable locking diff for a Dana 60 front axle that is still waiting installation into the truck. That should happen after the finances get straight again.
Entertaining is playing for the first time in 60 odd years with Acid brushes, Prussian blue and shims while laying on the gravel.
Next diff will get built outside the truck.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know how you like the trutrac. I plan on putting one in both axles if I can round up the funds.

Another member on here said he loves his trutrac. Should be perfect for my uses on the dually.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that style rearend in a AWD Toyota Rav4 and its great. I want to put one in the truck, but we'll see if I ever do.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a Detroit locker in my dana 80 for my dodge. It does its job, make both tires spin lol.

I seem to feel this one working more for some reason than I remember. I installed one in a CCLB f350 dump truck and can't even notice it. My dodge is only a regular cab long bed so maybe the short wheel base makes a difference.

In my old off road truck I just spooled the front diff and being a Ford danna 44 with locking hubs i just left one locked so I could turn and once in the ruff stuff lock the other one.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always heard the term "POSI Traction" or I have a "POSI". Think I first heard about them in the 60`s.
So I had to do some Googling to see what the difference is between the different types, And found this YT Video that really explains the various types.
This guy really knows his stuff.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure about $1250 will get the E~locker on the Dana 60 so I can pick up switchable 4x4 operation.
Got the truck on the ground tonight and a test drive tomorrow to see how it goes.
I have a feeling it will be a bit aggressive on power thru turns in regards to daily driving.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The torsen diffs (includes tru-trac) are torque-biasing, so switchbacks are one of the types of conditions it excels.

FWIW, I categorically name all the friction-based units as 'posi' or limited-grip.

I just put a Detroit locker in my dana 80 for my dodge. It does its job, make both tires spin lol.

I seem to feel this one working more for some reason than I remember. I installed one in a CCLB f350 dump truck and can't even notice it. My dodge is only a regular cab long bed so maybe the short wheel base makes a difference.

Auto or stick? I like lockers in all my trucks... that is until I put one in the automatic. Virtually never unlocked. Swapped the diff into a manual truck and worked just like I'm used to. A longer wheelbase does subdue the feel of a locker somewhat.... like crewcab vs Ramcharger, Lol!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auto or stick? I like lockers in all my trucks... that is until I put one in the automatic. Virtually never unlocked. Swapped the diff into a manual truck and worked just like I'm used to. A longer wheelbase does subdue the feel of a locker somewhat.... like crewcab vs Ramcharger, Lol!

auto. its just way more noticeable then i thought it would be. im fine with it cause i wanted a locker.

i have had limited slips and they have never worked when you REALLY need it. i'm not interested in the hopefully that ONE tire on pavement will lock vs the tire on ice lol.

i have not had a truetrack so cant say anything about that one.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the Truetrack for a ride yesterday and it performed flawlessly. No excessive engagement with the F350 crew cab 7.3 idiT/E4od. I even climbed a goat trail of a road and it was smooth without any sort of excessive engagement. When it did lock up, there was no sudden jerk but rather a smooth civilized transition.

The E-locker that is planned I figure will give me the 4wd option when needed.
With an E-lock engaged and the rear diff working, I should have a decent way of getting traction in most all conditions. The E~ Locker will engage both front wheels and with only one rear tire moving at a slow speed there should be no problems getting out of most situations that a crewcab truck can get into.
Overkill for my usage? Quite possibly, but all it takes it is once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88