trucks undriveable for a while

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my drivers side wheel bearings been squeaking for a couple of weeks now, but today coming home it made a nasty shriek and grind, and the whole truck shuddered. limped it home and felt the hub and spindle housing on my drivers side and it was BURNING hot, felt the passenger side and it was barely warm.

-cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you are short on money or you can swing it but bearing replacement is easy. It got to be old hat for awhile a few years abck for me between my IDI and a couple of boat trailers that were in the family. Should be a 1 hr-2 hr fix. Probably need to punch out the races as well since it overheated so much, might need the help of a machine shop for that. I was always scared to exert the neccessary violence on the ones on my truck and never had to really because they haven't been cooked like that. The traier hubs are easy, I'm not sure about punching out these races. Bad thing is the new bearings cost about $50 for the whole kit, race, bearings, seals, cotter key and crown nut. I'd replace both sides if the money is there just so you know what you've got, if not just clean the good side up and pack it with grease. Main trick tightening them down is take a huge socket or adjustable wrench nd get them just snug with everything set well, then back off just a hair and insert the cotter key and dust cap. They should be warm but not hot after a run down the road and shouldn't have much give when you jack up the truck and try to shake the wheel.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings are like women: when they make some noise you better take care of them or they'll surely cost you more later on :eek:.

You might have baked the race onto the spindle, which will make a little more work for you, I've carfully cut thru the race (very carefully, not to go all the way thru) about 80% on two sides and then knocked them off with a cold chisel and a hammer.

Good luck, you'll get it back together with a little time and elbow grease.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always knocked the races out with a punch. Hopefully you didnt mess the spindle up overheating it like that.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Last time this happened to me was my 93 Suburban about 7 years ago. It welded the bearing to the spindle. Ended up using some snapon side cutters to cut the bearing cage off. The spent about two hours carefully cutting through the main body of the bearing. The had to repeat for the inner bearing. After that if a bearing makes a signal noises it's gone within the hour if possible.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you are short on money or you can swing it but bearing replacement is easy. It got to be old hat for awhile a few years abck for me between my IDI and a couple of boat trailers that were in the family. Should be a 1 hr-2 hr fix. Probably need to punch out the races as well since it overheated so much, might need the help of a machine shop for that. I was always scared to exert the neccessary violence on the ones on my truck and never had to really because they haven't been cooked like that. The traier hubs are easy, I'm not sure about punching out these races. Bad thing is the new bearings cost about $50 for the whole kit, race, bearings, seals, cotter key and crown nut. I'd replace both sides if the money is there just so you know what you've got, if not just clean the good side up and pack it with grease. Main trick tightening them down is take a huge socket or adjustable wrench nd get them just snug with everything set well, then back off just a hair and insert the cotter key and dust cap. They should be warm but not hot after a run down the road and shouldn't have much give when you jack up the truck and try to shake the wheel.

thing is i have NO money right now, and my next paycheck goes to getting the new axles in a couple of weeks. judging from how hot the spindle housing was im guessing its melted to it :rolleyes: great, home stretch to getting the axles and now im gonna have a hard time getting to work. just my luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight