Truck won't turn on now!?!?

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has been running fine the last few wks but today when I turned it on she ran for a few minutes then it just shut off.Might have some sort of fuel problem there.Now the WTS light won't come on and I'm having trouble finding the problem or getting the truck to turn on.I checked the gp controller and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary,it was already dark out though.What gives?:mad:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What do you mean it wont turn on. Are you telling us it wont crank of it cranks fine but wont fire. Whats the level in the tank your using. If its 1/4 then you probably out of fuel. Reason for this is the suction shower heads breaks off in the tanks. then the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out. So we end up with a 1/4 tank of holley fuel. Unusable fuel. Now if the engine cranks fine please run a jumper wire from either battery positive post and connect it to the large spade connector on top of the injection pump cover. Thats the fuel shutoff solenoid. Then jump the fender mounted solenoid to start the engine. If it starts fine now try it with the ignition switch but make sure you connected the small trigger wire on the fender solenoid or the engine will not crank.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know fuel is not the issue here,can never be 100% though.Engine cranks but won't start,also WTS light since today is not turning on at all.I checked the fuses for glow plug related parts and they are fine.The only thing I can think of is on the gp harness where it connects to another connector on the passenger side someone spliced in a separate wire into the harness with a use in it and that fuse is blown.Put a new fuse in it and it blew it also.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I jump the fender mounted solenoid?Plugged in the block heater all night and still wouldn't start.Also tried some ether in desperation,no go!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the fender mounted solenoid. Se the large 2 posts and the small post where the wire is a push pull type connector. Pull that wire off and jump it from that luc to the large lug nearest the firewall. See that the large lug has the main power lead from the battery connected to it. Jumping those 2 leads will crank the engine. You have not mentioned if the fuel shutoff solenoid has power or not. Thats the large spade connector on top of the injection pump. There are 2 wires up there and the rear small one is the cold advance but the front large one is the fss. Jump that fram any battery for power. If it clicks your ready to start the engine.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to bring the wife's Tahoe to work so my rig is at home...
Gonna suck working on it at night!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
how did the truck die? did it surge a sputter or did it just die like you turned the key off. If it surged and sputtered then it is air intrusion, too many variables to give you a direct answer.

If it just died like you turned the key off

get a meter or test light and check the fss on top of the ip, it is the top center plug on the lid to the ip. with key off it should be 0 volts to ground and with key on it should have 12 volts to ground, if it has 12 with key on then leave key on and unplug the wire and plug it back in, you should hear a click which is the fss turning on. if there is not 12 on the terminal with the key on then you need to check fuses and if they are ok then you must trace the circuit back and find the break.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my neighbors mechanic take a look at it and ran some test and figured the gp controller was bad.Slapped a new one on for $90 and problem solved.Weird how the truck died while it was running and it just shutoff as if I turned off the ignition.
It's funny but my rig starts easier and even sounds a bit better,maybe I'm just happy to have her running again!

Why didn't the ether work, or block heater??

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I would try and fix it myself but its Monday and couldn't afford to take a couple of days off trying to find the solution.Im an arc welder so my truck is a necessity.Thanks for the help icanfixall and redneckaggie!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Why didn't the ether work, or block heater??

If the block is warm, the ether fires off too quickly and tries to make the engine run backwards against the starter. :eek:
It usually makes death rattle kinds of noises. Been there done that. Use ether only when the engine is cold.

The block heater may or may not get the engine warm enough to start without glow plugs. The colder it gets, the worse your chances are of it staring. How fast does your engine spin? The faster it spins, the better the chances it will start.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
The fuse that you spoke of blowing instantly after replacement was probably the key on for the gp controller and the fss after replacing the shorted gpc now you have power back to it

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did the truck die? did it surge a sputter or did it just die like you turned the key off. If it surged and sputtered then it is air intrusion, too many variables to give you a direct answer.

If it just died like you turned the key off

get a meter or test light and check the fss on top of the ip, it is the top center plug on the lid to the ip. with key off it should be 0 volts to ground and with key on it should have 12 volts to ground, if it has 12 with key on then leave key on and unplug the wire and plug it back in, you should hear a click which is the fss turning on. if there is not 12 on the terminal with the key on then you need to check fuses and if they are ok then you must trace the circuit back and find the break.

So what does the fss do exactly? If it is not working will the truck just crank and not turn over?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what does the fss do exactly? If it is not working will the truck just crank and not turn over?

If it is working correctly it allows fuel to flow to the injectors when energized. If it is bad or is not getting 12volt signal then you get no fuel to the injectors......not sure exactly where it stops the flow, just know it doesn't allow it to reach the injectors. If I am not mistaken, this is the meathod that is used to turn off the engine when the ket is turned to the off position.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cranking and turning over are one in the same commonly interchanged with one another. Now running engine is different than cranking or turning over.

FSS stops fuel flow into IP IIRC and subsequently the IP cannot compress and inject what is not there. Thus no more running engine or not able to start.

Hope this helps, I can crank my truck and it turns over whilst the FSS is disconnected and it should not start. If the FSS fails this usually causes the NO start. If truck is running and FSS fails it stalls. I"ve not heard of an FSS failing and causing run on or such, not shutting down the engine. However saying I have not heard of FSS failing and not shutting off the engine does not in any way mean it cannot happen. I don't know if it can or cannot, Mel or Russ may be able to speak to that question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance