Truck won't die!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
A couple times in the past few days, I've turned my key off, and everything shuts down, but the engine keeps running.
I've already fixed the peice inside my column, so I know that's not the problem.
Is there something I can clean inside the injector pump, or something I can run through my fuel system to clean the fuel shut off solenoid?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. A VERY strong dose of Power Service generally helps, and I'm sure Stanadyne would be even more effective (I don't run it because I can't get it locally and am not in a position to buy anything in bulk at the moment). Other than that, I'm not sure what to do short of replacing the entire solenoid (which is available separately, but seems to me to be a major PITA to install, particularly on a pump that isn't going to last forever, so I don't think it' worth the effort unless the pump is barely out of warranty or the solenoid's completely dead).

If she just won't die at all, I've found that a few light taps with a hammer to the top of the IP will shock the solenoid enough to loosen it. I've only had to do that once, knock on wood. You might try cycling the key on and off (with the engine not running :) ) quickly a number of times, and see if that helps any.

Just my thoughts...good luck!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, its easier to replace the governor cover as a whole. Just make sure it has that slight spring action and that you have an audible click when power is placed to teh solenoid and when its removed. If the solenoid isn't working there's a strong risk of runaway. If that doesn't happen it just won't work. Always have a good flat clipborad or something to pinch off the fuel when you work with the governor cover. You should be able to get one pretty cheap at a junkyard or a new one fgor between 30-70 dollars at an injection shop. Good luck with it.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
If you wait a bit, will it die, then?

The Crossbreed does it every time, if the electric fans are on. I figure the fan relay is backfeeding the ignition circuit, which controls the fuel shutoff solenoid. If I watch the fan indicator light, it will fadeout. Then the engine will die.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Crossbreed does it every time, if the electric fans are on. I figure the fan relay is backfeeding the ignition circuit, which controls the fuel shutoff solenoid. If I watch the fan indicator light, it will fadeout. Then the engine will die.
You need to unplug your fan relay, and replace it with one that has a built in diode, so it can't backfeed power when shutting it down.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, it's gone completely now. I kill it by putting it in 5th gear, and letting out the clutch.
I'm trying to sell it, and was wondering, I have a 6.9 sitting around, would the solonoid or whole governor cover from the 6.9 work on my 7.3?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! Its worth a try, for that matter the entire injector pump would swap over from the 6.9 no problem. But I can assure you that the solenoid or cover will be fine on the 7.3 pump. What you're doing now, that's what's kind of dangerous.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stalling it to shut it off seems like an act of despiration to me. In fact, it seems all your problems have accumulated because your just not spending any money to fix it.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!

Pulled the cover off the pump on my spare motor, and swapped it out with mine, and truck dies perfectly now.
Also, I confirmed my suspicion that the only thing wrong with the spare motor is the kid ran it out of fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news I kinda thought that would be the case with your injection pump, which is why I kept harping on it. I'm glad you got it done without causing a runaway. Real good news on the good spare motor. No surprise, they will amke a believer out of you that they are dead if you get an airlock, especially if you're somewhat inexperienced with diesels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7