Truck repair saga, semi-carnage pics

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Been doing some winter maintance on my diesel the past week or two. Not having a good time with it, to say the least. I think i broke more things than i currently fixed. LOL

So far here the list for this go around: (bold = done)
- Install rear tank and sending unit
- Shocks (all 4)
- Adjust rear brakes and parking brake equalizer
- 3G alternator
- R/R vacuum pump
- belts
- Fuel filter head leak
- Injector washers!
- High idle switch
- Vacuum guage
- Return lines
- Exhaust
- Seat belts
- Patch floor
- GP power wire to relay
- Allignment
- Service
- Remove one spring per side in front
- Pinion and t-case seals
- Inner axle seals
- Track bar bushings
- Starter solenoid
- Trans mount

So after my hard start/no start fiasco i had to replace the GP controller. Got the truck in the garage, and promply set to the return lines. No go on that, so i headed off in another direction. While waiting for a kit from Russ i decided to move onto the other engine bay things. First was the 3G alternator upgrade. Fairly easy, removed the factory (yes original, factory) alt and proceeded to upgrade to the 3G. Here are some pics:

Megafuse holder and power cables, 1awg:
You must be registered for see images attach

Wiring at the alt:

Harness tapped into for turn on wire: (tach sendor harness)

Stock harness all ugly:

Alt harness all pretty:

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
So then i figured id move onto the GP power wire. This is where things started to go wrong. First i removed all the wires from the starter solenoid/relay and this happened:

Then i started to trace the wires/fuseible links and found this:

Using this, thankfully this was just the trailor wiring so i tucked it aside, since i wont need it.

Then i moved onto the GP harness connector and did this:

So with that out of the way i made this, 4awg:

And went from this:

To this:

Then i moved onto the vacuum pump and while trying to remove the pulley did this:

So i did a lot of this:
#$$ #@$% @#$%@#$% &%^*%$^ ^$^ $%&^ @#^ & %^& #$%&^ #$ ^%#$ &
And moved on to relocate the low vacuum warning switch:

Two steps forwards, three steps backwards...tomorrow will continue this episode of Optis truck repair saga and #^%* ups!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Funny, the plug wasnt burnt in anyway just really brittle. Took it apart and it just kinda broke on the end like a potato chip. This was a planned "upgrade", just didnt plan on the end of the plug breaking off. Sometime down the road ill add a fuse to the GP power wire...maybe.

Tomorrow ill get another vacuum pump pulley, starter solenoid, and some assorted hose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well sometimes when you touch something things just fall apart. Getting that two wire contorller mess out of the main engine wire harness plug is the best idea you could have done. Now with what you made up the controller will have a good power lead to draw from. If you look really closely at those pins in the two yellow wire harness you will see just how small they are trying to pass enough power to operate the controller and plugs. No wonder that plug fails if any corrosion gets in them. The heat it will make because of a bad connection usually melts the plastic plug. Sometimes it starts an electrical fire too. About the vacuum pump pulley. Are you using the special puller that grabs around the small lip in the center. If not rent one or buy one. Its never a good idea attempting to remove the pulley by the outside rim where the belts ride. That ruins them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look you can see the pulling flange is rolled

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i think the pulley just failed and seperated. I ordered some parts today, wont say anything about them until they come in.

One thing i do need help with, the hose going from the vacuum pump to the plastic manifold near the cowl was starting to rub through and im replacing it. Trouble is i cant find anything to fit. its 11/32" OD with a 3/8" ID. Now, can i use regular 3/8" tubing, or do i need the thicker hose?

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing i do need help with, the hose going from the vacuum pump to the plastic manifold near the cowl was starting to rub through and im replacing it. Trouble is i cant find anything to fit. its 11/32" OD with a 3/8" ID. Now, can i use regular 3/8" tubing, or do i need the thicker hose?

Same question i wanted to ask on the forum..

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I used 3/8 reinforced fuel hose instead of vacuum hose or regular fuel hose so it wouldn't collapse in on itself. Been on there a long time now with no issues.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Reinforced huh, is this widely available? Local parts stores here are kinda dumb when it comes to certain things...So can i get this at Advance or Autozone or NAPA?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
i think the pulley just failed and seperated. I ordered some parts today, wont say anything about them until they come in.

I use 3/8 plastic air line from the big truck auto parts store. Cheap and effective.