Truck Keeps running after key is shut off and taken out

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this happening before? I just started drving my truck yesterday and a couple time s when i shut her down she kept running even after i took the key out.... what could cause this to happen? cause i had to stall her out to get her to stop. and it didnt sound like a runaway cause the RPM didnt change a bit

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not losing power to the FSS or it is getting stuck in the "on" position.

It is the wire located on the drivers side of the IP closest to the air cleaner assembly. Verify the operation using a voltmeter or test light.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it happen about a month ago on my 86....turned out it was the key being worn and not activating the rof in the steering coulmn....new cyliner solved it.

Does the accessory circuit stay on when you urn the key off (heater blower etc)? If so, and assuming you are talking about Irene in your sig, I would start by removing the ignition cyl. and column trim and see if manually moving the linkage toward the steering wheel shuts it down.

Keep in mind you will want to disconnect your batts if you let it sit for any length stalled...you fss fuel heater etc will all still be recieveing power.

As others said, pulling the wire from the fss will shut it down, but its nt a good perm. fix

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is its a problem in the column, either the pin that returns the actual switch to the "Off" position or the gear is worn out. But you can pull the wire to get it to shut off.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
thanks guys, ill look in to it asap i thought it was casue it was getting to hot and kept running. But come to think of it the key does feel like there is excessive effort to turn it now, could that be a warning sign?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly what mine did....the key was too worn and not engaging the tumblers fully, like I said , easiest way to check is pull the cyl and shroud, try to manually move the linkage...if all works normally you are looking at the lock cyl and possibly gear; if you cant activate things normally then its probably the electrical switch at the base of the column.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the FSS CAN stick "on"....mine did. I think it started with a bad tank of fuel, but it would intermittently stick on for however long....sometimes just a couple of seconds, and sometimes for over a minute! There were even a few times when I had to take a small hammer and give a few taps to the side of the IP top cover to get the solenoid to unstick and kill the engine. I finally pulled the top cover off and worked the solenoids (FSS and cold timing advance, which also stuck ON a few times) by hand until they moved more smoothly, and I have an extra top cover ready to install of these solenoids try to give me grief again.

If you unplug the FSS and the truck doesn't shut down, try LIGHTLY tapping the side of the top cover and see if the engine shuts down. If it doesn't, you might try overdosing your tanks with Stanadyne or some other lubricity additive, or either find a junkyard IP top cover or plan on replacing the pump.

Hope that helps some...good luck!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the FSS CAN stick "on"....mine did. I think it started with a bad tank of fuel, but it would intermittently stick on for however long....sometimes just a couple of seconds, and sometimes for over a minute! There were even a few times when I had to take a small hammer and give a few taps to the side of the IP top cover to get the solenoid to unstick and kill the engine. I finally pulled the top cover off and worked the solenoids (FSS and cold timing advance, which also stuck ON a few times) by hand until they moved more smoothly, and I have an extra top cover ready to install of these solenoids try to give me grief again.

If you unplug the FSS and the truck doesn't shut down, try LIGHTLY tapping the side of the top cover and see if the engine shuts down. If it doesn't, you might try overdosing your tanks with Stanadyne or some other lubricity additive, or either find a junkyard IP top cover or plan on replacing the pump.

Hope that helps some...good luck!

NOw that you say the bad fuel could be the culprit i think thats my problem, cause the truck has been sitting for quite some time and i have a feelin the fuel isnt any good anymore

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep bad fuel will clog up the FSS. During the long life of my grandpas truck we had the FSS stick on several times. Only way to clean it out is to pull the fuel filter and run either ATF or fuel system cleaner through it.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2...if you suspect fuel pull your filter, fill it with a quart of dex 3, let it run for about 5 mins to pull the atf into the IP, the shut it down and let it sit and penitrate everything for a couple of hours....just as an fyi it will run fun on atf, but it will be blowing a little smoke

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lol yea forgot to mention that part. Grandpas truck rolled coal like a freight train with ATF. We always siphoned the bad fuel out of the tank too. Atleast as much as we could. No sense running more of that crap through it.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
alright thanks again, i usually run a quart of ATF per tank at fill up any way, but ill try the atf in the filter and see what happens today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online