Truck is slow to crank.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the weather getting colder I am having an issue with the truck getting slow to crank. I have some ideas on what it could possibly be but Id like some feedback on possible fixes in fords shortcomings.

1. I'm going to have the batteries tested at AutoZone.

2. Last winter I had an issue where on the rare occasion the truck would not turn over. I would go to start and just get a click. But if i tried again right away it would start no problem. I'm guessing i have some carbon build up or a dead spot on the starter / relay.

3. The battery cables on the truck are 26 years old and im sure they are building up resistance. Is there a good kit to replace everything with nice new wires or should I just talk to my buddy who wires up car stereos and get his hep?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
As far as battery cables go, I'm going to use 2/0 welding cable on the black truck in the next two weeks. 25' is roughly $85, but I dont need that much.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2/0 is the way to go I had mine made up at John Deere and they reused the plastic covers that the factory cables had.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the batteries tested at AutoZone, after a little charge they both tested fine. Truck still goes Uhhh when i try and start it.

Im on the lookout for a Nippondenso starter locally but i think all im going to find is the mitsu long style. At this point im not exactly sure what the problem is, and i dont want to waste money but i do have one of these on it and it could have given up the ghost.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That starter is the direct drive and slow turning... Get a gear reduction starter and you will think someone stole all your compression.... they spin these motors so fast you usually can't count the rpm nor let go og the ignition key fast enough...:sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Im almosr certain a direct drive starter wouldnt start my motor, mine has to spin over as fast as possible cause its so worn, if it drags over it will not fire at all even if either i have to roll it off

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any local part stores that would carry the Nippondenso gear reduction starter? I see the one i want on Napas website but i called and they couldnt even look up the P/N i gave them? Id like to get it running before Friday night...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Are there any local part stores that would carry the Nippondenso gear reduction starter? I see the one i want on Napas website but i called and they couldnt even look up the P/N i gave them? Id like to get it running before Friday night...

I have never been able to find any new nippondenso starters in stores, but there are some on ebay, and the mitsu gear reduction is great, it cranks them over really fast, but the nippondenso is alot faster than the mitsu but the used nipp i got died in 3 dayscookoo granted it was used i can be sure of its death, it started turning slow then all of a suddon burned the wires in side off, so back to the brand new mitsu,

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem Solved! turns out the main power cable to the starter had worked its way loose. Truck starts up like a dream now.

I think I'm going to order the starter from DB electrical, and order some new power cables. Then in the spring when its warm Ill plan a weekend and do the swap. I know people say these Delco Starters are slow but my truck starts up before i can even count to one. Ill have to get a video of it. I cant imagine how much faster itll start next winter.