Truck in Shop......idiot drivers

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ok,

I was driving through Bismarck on my way to get my Christmas present (portable ice house!!!) when a lady tried to turn left in front of me when there was no way she was going to make it without me hitting her.

I ended up t-boning her Toyota SUV and causing her rig to spin several times before coming to rest. Thankfully everyone was ok and no other vehicles were involved!!! I rearranged her passenger side from the passenger door to the rear fender....my rig has a bent bumper, dented hood and busted out grill.

My only concern is that the front passenger door wouldnt open due to the front quarter panel being pushed back about 3/16 of an inch.

Just wondering what you guys think in regards to what I should check out once I get the truck back from the shop? If it does end up being totalled (probably not) what do you guys suggest I do? I expect to hear everyone say to buy it back but just wondering if anyone would be leary of keeping a salvaged title vehicle.

And if I do have to replace it.......what should I get?

I am thinking 93 or 94 TIDI F350 CC with a 5 sp!!!!!!

Thad

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Front sheet metal is easy! even if you have to get a rad support to. But id look for any bending in the front part of the frame just to make sure. Might need a fender, ther mounts are pretty basic and they might have a slight bend in them. I once has some lose fender mounts and depending where i parked dictated if i could open my door or not cookoo

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
Ok,

I was driving through Bismarck on my way to get my Christmas present (portable ice house!!!) when a lady tried to turn left in front of me when there was no way she was going to make it without me hitting her.

I ended up t-boning her Toyota SUV and causing her rig to spin several times before coming to rest. Thankfully everyone was ok and no other vehicles were involved!!! I rearranged her passenger side from the passenger door to the rear fender....my rig has a bent bumper, dented hood and busted out grill.

My only concern is that the front passenger door wouldnt open due to the front quarter panel being pushed back about 3/16 of an inch.

Just wondering what you guys think in regards to what I should check out once I get the truck back from the shop? If it does end up being totalled (probably not) what do you guys suggest I do? I expect to hear everyone say to buy it back but just wondering if anyone would be leary of keeping a salvaged title vehicle.

And if I do have to replace it.......what should I get?

I am thinking 93 or 94 TIDI F350 CC with a 5 sp!!!!!!

Thad

i did this to my poor truck:cry:
You must be registered for see images attach

and the frame is fine, hell it still drive's like new;Sweet dont worry about it these trucks are TUFF:backoff

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I will post pics sometime today. Really I am betting the frame is fine I just dont want to have never ending repairs from this accident.

Honestly though I am glad that I was driving my rig and not a foreign car!!!!

We'll see the car guy later today.

Thad

If its bad enough I may look for a 93 or 94 TIDI CC with a 5 speed if someone has one that is in good to excellent shape! Also, would consider a 96 or 97 01, 02 or 03 7.3L Powerstroke CC 4x4 5sp. Anyone got a rig they no about that would in the neighborhood of the ND SD NE KS area?

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet insurance will total it. Insurance told me the most they would pay out on my truck is lie $2600. Its not hard to do $2600 worth of damage. Heck a shop would charge ya $1000 to put a bumper on i bet. As far as salvage title I wouldn't worry about it. My truck is on a rebuilt title. Nothing wrong with that as long as its solid. The truck is still worth what its worth because of what it is.

maddenji

Reaction score
Some kids took my first truck and totaled it. I'm still sorry i didn't buy it back and either repair it, or use or sell the parts

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the front clip and inspect the frame for damage and streightness. I doubt your likely to find any. Then take a close look at your core support and where the fenders mount. There is a good bit of slop in the body mount area, and chances are things just got moved back a little, but you will probably have to streighten the bolt holes where things mount to the cab. I hit a Subaru Forrestor at 40 MPH with my 99 Ranger. The alignment between the cab and the bed scared me some, and I never would find out if the frame was bent or not. But at that point, I hated the firmware in that truck and was willing to let them total it. You have to admit though, it looked repairable. Unlike the tuna can I hit.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fix it. A rebuilt title is no big deal. It's your truck, you know it and love it. It makes you sick when something like this happens, but don't let it put your truck in a scrap yard. It should be easy to fix and have a great truck at the end of it all.

Heath

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Since I dont want to be blindsided if they do total it:

Is there any reason why I should stay away from a 94 or 95 Powerstroke other than because its not an IDI?

Thanks guys.....we'll find out here in a few what the damage is.

Thad

FYI if they dont total it the up side is that I need a new front end anyhow. Everything up front was lose-ish: headlights, grill and turn signals......small victories.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of Heath. I wouldn't care about a salvage title. I don't know what your plan is down the road but if the truck is gonna die with you then who cares. If you are thinking of selling someday I would still say who cares... These trucks are worth what they are worth. If I were buying a 2007 whatever I might be leary of a salvage title but only cuz I would be paying big money....anyway I vote keep it, save it, fix it and love it! ;Sweet

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Here are the pics of my rig after the accident. The fluid is tranny fluid. I didnt look around the rig because it was dark and the intersection was busy enough for me to not want to get hit by a rubber necker!!!!

The first pic is of my truck wearing its newest addition......a Nissan fender flare......

Thad

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that dont look too bad take theire settlement and fix it youre self

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually does look better than I was expecting! I hope it works out good for you! ;Sweet

On a side note....Burnt Boat Drive!! I thought we had some crazy street names! LOL

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I would first sue the crap out of the woman's insurance company that caused the accident, if they wanted to total the truck for that little bit of damage, buy it back.

The fender is most likely just pushed back on it's adjustment. Easy fix. The frames in these trucks are TOUGH!!! so I can't see it being bent much if any.

I would be looking for cracking around the corners of the windshield when the truck was handed back to me. Check the rad for fan marks, and anything in front of the rad for leaking...including the rad itself. If anything like that was replaced, check for fluid levels, tire pressures check for tightness of bolts etc.

I drove tow truck and I have towed accidents in, only to tow them to a garage a day after the owner taking recievership back because no antifreeze was put in, or lug nuts were not torqued and tires came flying off...

Most shops are great to deal with...the insurance companies however....:backoff