Truck in Shop......idiot drivers

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the 97 sounds like a decent truck. The "coffee cup" of red fluid is disconcerting though. The coolant in 97 should be green with dca additive (the additive is blue but the coolant should be green in color). I know that all manor of companies make all kinds of coolant in a rainbow of colors, If a test strip in the coolant doesnt come back with the right results then walk away. The 7.3 strokes arent known for coolant leaks. The 94-97 have fuel filter housing issues, and the fuel pump in the value can leak neither are major and its just basic maintenance. the 7.3 strokes after 150k to 200k need injectors and the injector cups should be done to prevent the coolant and fuel from mixing. Other than that they are solid and dependable. Make sure the cruise control recall and cam position sensor recall are done and your good to go.

The idi is a great truck and dead nuts dependable. the stroke has more power and almost as much dependablility. Both will go for 300-500k with basic maintenance. The stroke is more expensive to purchase and maintain but thats the trade off for 450-500 lb/ft of torque.

Its a hard decision to make but hopefully this info will help. I would let them total your truck, buy it back and then use the "fix it" pay out as a down payment on the stroke. two for one.

punk

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I heard back from the salesman today. I am not impressed with him to say the least.

First he told me that the rig has a power steering leak with a possible rear main seal leak and it apparently needs a new windshield. He then told me that they are going to sell for $7900 no less. The total for the repairs he said would come to $1200. So I am looking at $9000 ish for the rig.....with my truck for a trade in.

Thats where I get pissed. The guy told that it might be worth $1500. I laughed (seriously) and then asked him if he was joking. We then sat down and he looked it up online on NADA or KBB (couldnt tell the screen faced away) and he told me they could probably do something in the mid $3K range. I laughed again.

I left. I went home and looked it up. Bottom dollar trade in from NADA is $4000 even. Those guys are trying way too hard to make a buck or they are incompetent.

I also noticed that there was a gooseneck plate in the bed and the bolt holes to prove it.

What do you guys think? Remember I have nowhere and no time to fix either of the vehicles myself due to being on vacation and the weather is super cold outside with nowhere to work.

Thanks
Thad

wpfd571

Reaction score
Thats a little steep for the 97, for some reason dealers think the obs trucks are made of gold. And no offence but 3k may be about right for your truck on trade with the damage, remember they have to fix it and sell it, or sell as is.

I know just how you feel about your truck i sold my 93 F-250 cause it was just a money pit and i had enough, so i sold it for next to nothing just to get rid of it, i still see it from time to time and still wish i had it but then i remember all the times i wanted to drive it off a cliff and think i did the right thing moving on to my 03 F-250

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Thats a little steep for the 97, for some reason dealers think the obs trucks are made of gold. And no offence but 3k may be about right for your truck on trade with the damage, remember they have to fix it and sell it, or sell as is.

I know just how you feel about your truck i sold my 93 F-250 cause it was just a money pit and i had enough, so i sold it for next to nothing just to get rid of it, i still see it from time to time and still wish i had it but then i remember all the times i wanted to drive it off a cliff and think i did the right thing moving on to my 03 F-250

Yeah, but the $3K was with the truck fully repaired!!!!!!

We'll see tomorrow what the insurance company wants to do with this rig.

Thad

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Their going to fix it man, if I could insert pictures i'ld show you what 60 to 0 Mph using a hay wagon instead of breaks will do, no more plastic or radiator, or ac, had to replace entire nose but the insurance did it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I remember once I was going to trade my 99 Silverado LT FULLY LOADED in on a Supercharged Cobalt SS. The truck was in MINT condition, 93000 miles on her, a TON of aftermarket engine mods, $4000 worth of stereo, 33x12.50x16" super swamper tires. It had leather everything, push button 4x4, power heated seats, power heated mirrors...everything you could imagine on a 99.

$3500 was all theoy would give me. I took my keys and handed them their paperwork and walked out.

Next place said $4000...regardless I took the truck and left with it. I sold it for $12000 privatly and KEPT my stereo and tires!

wpfd571

Reaction score
Ok 3k for your truck fixed, that sucks just let the guy sit on that 97. Tell him to call you when hes serious about making a sale that has worked for me in the past or talk to the sales manager

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The cash for clunkers junk has run the market down on used trades (making the ones on the lot "worth more") and also put the lots at a stand still trying to move what they have and not take on more. Its funny really as the whole idea was to "stimulate" the economy and all it did was put a bunch of new junk on the street, most of which in the hands of people who cant afford it and will end up rolling it back on the bank.

These are hard times.

As for your current situation I would have your truck repaired by the best shop you can find and look it over carefully. then when you get home you can double check everything that was touched and start looking for a stroke. Sell yours privatly and get the most you can for it, you may sit on it awhile but a nice truck is a nice truck. You will find strokes for cheaper but I wouldnt expect to go down too much. They are asking ridiculous prices and getting what they are asking, as long as that is the case they wont stop.

punk

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude, but if you are in a place where you are unable to fix either truck, then why even bother considering the PSD. Isn't the IDI still mobile, just a little uglier? Can't you drive it home after your trip and then fix or replace it?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I suppose I will wait and let them fix my truck. Then when the time is better sell mine for what its worth.

I have a REALLY good friend thats a Sales Manager at a Ford dealership in Minnesota. He is looking for a rig for me. He tends to have a lot of volume and will make things right. He has always given me top dollar for my trades. I just wanted to try and keep this simple and local in Bismarck, since I am stuck here......

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
sycostang

Just to clarify my 94 will need repairs doen before I can drive it home. I can NOT do it myself while I am here. I will have to pay someone to do the work for me........

My original goal (after the accident) was to either trade the repaired rig in a on a newer 7.3 or if they totaled it take the cash and use it as a downpayment on a newer rig (or an IDI if I can find one). My truck has to be repaired since it has a transmission oil leak coming from the trans cooler.

Plus, my insurance company doesnt just pay you cash for repairs. They take the bill for whatever the shop charges after they decide if its repairable. I know alot of insurance companies will just pay you to get the repairs and then you can shop around to get it fixed. Thats why I had a buddy with a hailed out rig......and a brand new guitar!!!

We'll see.....

Thad

DragRag

Reaction score
Your truck is a very easy fix, bumper and grill with some sheetmeal adjustment can be done in less then a day. Your telling me you can't handle some cold weather for one weekend day? Come on....get to work. The insurance co is going to give you a good check, fix it yourself, and pocket the big bucks they are going to be giving you.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
sycostang

Just to clarify my 94 will need repairs doen before I can drive it home. I can NOT do it myself while I am here. I will have to pay someone to do the work for me........

My truck has to be repaired since it has a transmission oil leak coming from the trans cooler.

Thad

Ok, I read the whole thread but must have forgotten that part. I thought the damage was only cosmetic.

DragRag

Reaction score
By pass the trans cooler, that takes 10 minutes. Or pay a shop one hour to do it, plus the parts, take it home, and do the rest your self. Either way, you win big doing the repairs your self when you get home.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
drag rag

Like I said before the insurance company will NOT just write me a check......this isnt my first rodeo with them.......

I tried last ime but no....unless things have changed. Maybe!??? I should find out today!

Thad