truck history

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
My current '88 F350 . The original owner bought it (in Oregon) to haul his cabover camper. He had the lift put on, the air bags installed, etc. He traded it in '94 then the second owners bought it. They were semi retired and living in a Airstream. They took it to Tucson for a while then moved up to Reno in '99 or so. The decided they liked it here so the truck got parked and only driven when they traveled out of town.
By fall of 2008 it only had 107k miles on it and had some issues from sitting so much but was in near pristine condition otherwise. The owners weren't physically able to maintain the truck and didn't want to see it rot away. So they put an ad on craig's list giving the truck away! Yes Free!!. They were picky about who it went to. They wanted to know that who ever got it had the ability to fix the minor issues, could afford to maintain it and had a use for the truck. So I emailed them, told them my back ground and how I use my trucks etc. Figured I had no chance of getting it. They recieved hundred of emails. A few days later I get a call from them asking if I wanted to see the truck. My wife and I went over and looked at it. They gave it to us. The old man's wife was almost in tears as we left with it.
Since then I've added the turbo and the 45 gal. aft tank.

It touched my heart to read: "The old man's wife was in tears as we left with it."
Take good care of that truck. It was more than a gift, it took a lot of love and sacrifice to give it away so it will not rot or get damaged for lack of maintenance.
It reminds me someone that gave His son, His only one, the best and all He had in Him, to show us that He loves us and wants to spend eternity with all that accept His offer of reconciliation and eternal life.

Burt, a miserable, good for nothing, changed by His love, born again Christian.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It touched my heart to read: "The old man's wife was in tears as we left with it."
Take good care of that truck. It was more than a gift, it took a lot of love and sacrifice to give it away so it will not rot or get damaged for lack of maintenance.
It reminds me someone that gave His son, His only one, the best and all He had in Him, to show us that He loves us and wants to spend eternity with all that accept His offer of reconciliation and eternal life.

Burt, a miserable, good for nothing, changed by His love, born again Christian.

We've been taking good care of it for sure. Right now it is sitting in my shop waiting for me to put new brakes on it tonight. On saturday it is getting new tires. Hopefully within the next year it will get a gearvendor.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just about bet that the bank or wherever is holding the title. If you can find out where and talk to them, I think that construction guy is in trouble, you can't sell a vehicle legally without paying off the lien, at least in Ohio it's that way. Better get it cleared up ASAP. What if the guy goes bankrupt, and the bank repos it.

In Texas the last I heard it was against the law to sell collateral. The lady at the DMV told me that if I was in a wreck, run, the law would be after the titled owner.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hauler do you have pics of the 85
and the 88 great story

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought mine 1-1/2 years ago with 150,000 miles. Was looking for one for me as my previous vehicle , minivan (don't ask), was going to my daughter. Saw it in an ad, went down and the dealer already had a deposit on it. This was Tuesday.

The guy was supposed to pick it up on Friday. Gave the dealer my # and figured it was a no go.

On Thursday I found out I had prostate cancer (all good now!!!) and was kinda talking to God about at least wanting the truck. Drove by the dealer and it was gone. Very bummed out. A few hours later the dealer called. Told me the guy with the deposit wasn't going to be able to pick it up until Monday and if I had the cash to come pick it up. Needless to say, I did.

Have been fixing it up as I go with a lot of input from this board. Thanks to all.

Alan

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Bought mine 1-1/2 years ago with 150,000 miles. Was looking for one for me as my previous vehicle , minivan (don't ask), was going to my daughter. Saw it in an ad, went down and the dealer already had a deposit on it. This was Tuesday.

The guy was supposed to pick it up on Friday. Gave the dealer my # and figured it was a no go.

On Thursday I found out I had prostate cancer (all good now!!!) and was kinda talking to God about at least wanting the truck. Drove by the dealer and it was gone. Very bummed out. A few hours later the dealer called. Told me the guy with the deposit wasn't going to be able to pick it up until Monday and if I had the cash to come pick it up. Needless to say, I did.

Have been fixing it up as I go with a lot of input from this board. Thanks to all.

Alan

Right on the center of this note! It may seem like just another story (although each is unique and interesting in itself) but this one was special to me: "... was kinda talking to God about at least wanting the truck."

You talked to your Father!

It was not a recited phrase, you actually talk to Him, like your Father, or a dear friend, and hinted if He can let you, or help you, have the truck since maybe you were going to die.

Some people may say your prayer (even question if it was a prayer) was not right. That here were other things more important to address with God if such a dilemma was being faced but I think He guided you towards the right step in your case. Even if it was not that important the issue with the truck I think that you, talking with Him, was the key to all that followed. And not only getting the truck but been healed of the cancer.

Beautiful story my brother!

I also give thanks to our Father. For your restored health and for caring so much about us to take in consideration even those small details, like you wanting that truck (when He knew you were going to be facing bigger issues soon)

Thanks for sharing with us this.

Burt

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Burt,

I have known my Father for over 30 years now. I don't "pray" anymore, I just talk with Him and try to listen for His direction. I wasn't worried about death, I know where I'm going :). I just had already thought that I was supposed to get the truck and was bummed more that I might not be hearing clearly.

Our Father has used that truck in so many ways over the last 1-1/2 years I know that I heard correctly. Helped people move, transportation for friend while I recovered from surgery, towing cars to help others, etc. The only time it had to be towed a friend of mine got to encourage the tow truck driver who had just lost his dad (it started up the next day and we never did figure out why it wouldn't start except that the tow truck driver needed to be encouraged). There are so many blessings that might have been missed had I not been listening that day. Trust me, both times I tried it it worked. (lol)

This truck is definitely a gift from God. :)

Alan