Truck going dead in park

jhowse

Reaction score
Why does my truck go dead when I rev up the engine in park ,it revs up then dies but if its in drive or reverse it seems to be alright.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the metering valve is sticking in the IP. Try double dosing the the fuel with Power Service, Howes, for some other diesel lube in hopes it improves.

Heath

Last edited:

jhowse

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I will try that I've been running stanadyne fuel addative, I may not be mixing it strong enough. The pump is fairly new it's a Uhaul pump has less than 5000 miles on it.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
for a sticky metering valve, I prefer just plain ATF, or Diesel Kleen.

The way I prefer to do a flush like that, is to pull off your fuel filter, drain it. Then fill it with pure ATF. Once you've got it back on, start and idle the truck for 30 seconds to a min. Just long enough to fill the IP and injectors with the ATF, then shut it down, and let it sit overnight. That will normally clean out most any deposit in the IP.

If you're following the bottle, you're prolly mixing it just fine. Sometimes gak will get into the pump and foul it. Also, just because it's new, doesn't mean it wasn't sitting for a while before you put it on. A good soak will likely help it anyway.

jhowse

Reaction score
The pump more than likely sat on a parts shelf for sometime the truck also sits more than I'd like it to due to fuel prices