Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK, they both are turing too slow. LOL

I just saw your youtube video Ken, and I noticed there was NO RETURN LINE AT ALL between the number 2 and 4 injectors! The return cap on #2 was just sitting there connected to nothing. Have you replaced those return lines, orings, and caps? If not, you will never get that thing to start well. That will cause huge air intrusion and fuel to leak all over the top of the engine.

Heath

wow i didnt even notice that

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes all my returns are connected, can you replace a starter solenoid? the one that actually goes on the starter??? or do I have to replace the whole starter?

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the bolts that holds the O terminal in place just completely came out... when I was unscrewing the nut to put the o terminal on...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the bolts that holds the O terminal in place just completely came out... when I was unscrewing the nut to put the o terminal on...
that's a good reason.
sounds like it's melted down.
do yourself a favor and get a whole starter.
if the solenoid is that far gone, the armature in the motor won't be in very good shape either.
it's a $55 gamble. if it works, great. if it doesn't...you're out $55 for the solenoid and still have to buy a starter on top of that.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
that's a good reason.
sounds like it's melted down.
do yourself a favor and get a whole starter.
if the solenoid is that far gone, the armature in the motor won't be in very good shape either.
it's a $55 gamble. if it works, great. if it doesn't...you're out $55 for the solenoid and still have to buy a starter on top of that.

X2 Just buy a starter so that we don't take the chance on just "throwing away" money. The new starter should already have a new solenoid on it.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
x3 Those two components are literally connected. If you heat one to the point of melting the loctite holding the bolt in (or worse actually melt the plastic compound) then the windings in the starter motor itself is likely not in good condition

punk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the starter motor worked great up until this incident, they have the solenoids at oreilly's for like 15$ can I take the starter to them and have them test it to make sure it is in working order before I buy a new solenoid???

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
the starter motor worked great up until this incident, they have the solenoids at oreilly's for like 15$ can I take the starter to them and have them test it to make sure it is in working order before I buy a new solenoid???

That sounds more like the price of the the solenoid on the fender. :dunno Just fix it right with a new starter (even if it's one from a wrecking yard). There is an "echo" here again. LOL

hdbobber

Reaction score
To Don't take this the wrong way, but would you mind explaining exactly WHY you think this? PM me your response if you prefer. I'm just curious why you feel this way after many of us have given good/great advice on what needs to be done to help him get the truck running. I personally have spent time on the phone and IMing with Ken (outside of this forum) to try to help.

I assume that you feel this way because of some of the responses on the last 2 or 3 pages. What about all the advice given on the first 15-16 pages prior to those? If you (or your friends) were disrespected in public (whether to your face or on the internet), wouldn't you become a little "rude" to get your point across and stand up for yourself (and/or your friends)?

Its not about being RUDE to a person, but helping someone out. There is so much going on that I am about willing to drive up there and help this kid out. 5 1/2 hours from the house to his. I DON'T know everything about a IDI but I could help him find his problem with the truck. I wasn't meaning to start anything by that posting, but after reading 19 pages if might have seem that way. SORRY k_williams1982 sorry

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Why not try pull starting it? It is a 4 speed correct? You don't need much speed and if it is getting fuel it should start. Just don't use low gear to do it. I pull started mine once when I drained the batteries after changing the fuel filter before I knew to fill it. Didn't take very far to get it going.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I aint got no other vehicle too pull it... I got a 5 speed 4 cyl. ford festiva and that's not mine it's my moms b-friends and he don't let no one drive his car.. but thanks for the suggestion

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
There is so much going on that I am about willing to drive up there and help this kid out. 5 1/2 hours from the house to his. I DON'T know everything about a IDI but I could help him find his problem with the truck. I wasn't meaning to start anything by that posting, but after reading 19 pages if might have seem that way. SORRY k_williams1982 sorry

You don't have to apologize to me for anything. There are two of us over here that would drive the almost 37 HOURS (2,437 miles) if the funds and time were available. Most of the threads have been posted to help get the truck running, and not in a "rude" manner.

Ken, how'd things go today? I assume no strat since the solenoid broke on you. Be sure to get the correct one. IIRC, there are two different styles.